Outlook 2016 keeps on asking for gmail password RRS feed

• Question

• Help, why Outlook 2016 suddenly kept asking for my gmail password?

I have been using it since 2016 without any problem.

I still can send / receive mail after entering my password. But it will prompt for password again after a few minutes.

• Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hi CKKwan,

Credential prompt issue can be caused by many reasons. There is a forum FAQ listed of the most common reasons for this problem:

Why does Outlook keep prompting for password

Besides, some users reported recently that Outlook keeps getting prompted for "Sign in with your Google account" every few minutes.

If this is the case for you, please try following steps:

1. Turn on “Less secure app access”

You can find this settings in this link: https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps?pli=1

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

2. Change Gmail server setting

If the option above doesn’t help, change the "imap.gmail.com" and "smtp.gmail.com" to "imap.googlemail.com" and "smtp.googlemail.com" to test the results.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:22 AM
  • Hi CKKwan,

Are there any updates with this issue? Does Outlook still prompt for password of Gmail?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, June 24, 2019 4:47 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 5:15 AM
  • Hi CKKwan,

Have you tested with the steps above? Are there any improvements?

If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

If the information helps, it's recommended to mark as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

Regards,

Perry

Monday, June 24, 2019 4:46 AM