none
Unable to create a new resource: An unknown error has occurred RRS feed

• Question

• Hi dear friends! I am the site collection administrator of our PWA. But when I try to create a resource for myself, i get this very descriptive error message "An unknown error has occurred." :(

I am used to troubleshooting but this error does not help at all. Any suggestions how to track the culprit?

Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:28 AM

Answers

• Thanks @Michael for the response.

Found the problem! Looks like there was a default user already created for myself (by being an Administrator?) but it was not showing up on Resources. I found it by switching to "Sharepoint Permission Mode" and going to Security-->ManageUsers menu. Then from there select "User can be assigned as a resource".

Thanks again to everyone!

Friday, March 29, 2019 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Difficult to troubleshoot like this. But you might have an issue with custom fields. You can check that all custom fields are checked in. Also try to create a resource from another browser and from MS Project to see if it helps.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Thanks for the response, Guillaume

I am able to create new Resources for other people. so the problem now seems to be specific to myself. it's also a new site collection and new project, not custom fields used so far. 

I wonder if there is an error log hidden somewhere that can give more info about the error?

Friday, March 29, 2019 2:33 AM
  • You may trying to create a duplicate resource.  Verify that currently being used.

Also, check if resource record got locked when creating.  Under PWA force checkin for resource.  See if it shows up there.

Also, go thru the steps of deleting resource and see if it shows up in list of resources that can be delete.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, March 29, 2019 3:28 AM
  • Thanks @Michael for the response.

Found the problem! Looks like there was a default user already created for myself (by being an Administrator?) but it was not showing up on Resources. I found it by switching to "Sharepoint Permission Mode" and going to Security-->ManageUsers menu. Then from there select "User can be assigned as a resource".

Thanks again to everyone!

Friday, March 29, 2019 9:08 AM