Customize user account pictures RRS feed

• Question

• Im am busy running server 2008 R2 and busy working on a windows 7 image that i will hopefully deploy thought-out my company very soon. 

I am trying to customize the account pictures per network user that logs on.

For example i want the account picture to be the work ID photograph of the user that logs on. ( i have all these pictures in one folder and all resized to the appropriate size )

Is this Possible ?

Regards bch920 

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

The user account picture is stored in the file with the name  domain+user_name.dat (binary file) within the following location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\

I think there is not a directly method to assign the user account picture for every accounts. However, an indirectly method here I think it will work:

1. Create a GPO with following setting enabled:

Computer Configuration--->Administrative Templates--->Control Panel--->User Accounts---> Apply the default user logon picture to all users

2. Create GPO to overwrite the default account picture "user.bmp" with corresponding image files:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp

You may have a test to verify whether it will work or not.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Hey ,

Sorry for the late reply. 

I have set the default user logon picture for all the users but I am having trouble trying to work out how to make a GPO to overwrite the default account picture per user. 
    How would I do this ? 

Regards bch920

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Here's an article on adding a unique user tile to for each user account:

User Tile Automation: http://deployment.xtremeconsulting.com/2010/06/23/usertile-automation-part-1/

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:30 AM