none
Duplicate Resources when migrating plans from msps 2007 to msps 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am facing enormous issues while migrating plans created in msps 2007 to msps 2010.

I am having duplicate resources while migrating plans from msps 2007 to msps 2010 and actuals are not reallocated to resources.

(Side note: In msps 2007(which is locally hosted) , the resources were created using a local domain and in msps 2010 the resources must be created using a different domain for the server which is hosted in a datacenter.

Steps followed:

Installed msp 2010 followed by Service pack 1 and CU August 2012.

Plans created in msp 2007 have been saved locally and were opened and saved in msp 2010.

After publishing the plans in msps 2010; i am having the above issue(Duplicate Resources).

Proposed Solution 1:

Installing MSPS 2010 without the Service Pack 1 (to be installed after migration has been completed).

This solution works for a collegue but it did not work in my situation; while publishing the plans, the following error msg is given:

Job Type:Load

Error ID: 12015(0x2EEF)

Error Description :An internal error occured

I needed to reinstalled SP1 and CU so as to get eliminate the error message as described above.

Is it advisable to proceed as above; migration of plans before installing SP1 patch? It works for a collegue.

Proposed solution 2:

Check the link msps 2010 provided; infact it has been configured in Backward Compatibility Mode.

May be the plans are corrupted; I tried to recovered it by converting the plans in XML and re-import it in mpp.

Infact I did a test, I mapped the link provided  in msp 2007 plans and publish the plans on the 2007 server; there was no duplicate resource.

Can anyone advise me how to proceed with the migration?

Many Thanks

Soudha

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As you mentioned, you seem to have a different domain for your 2007 environments, so I would ensure that the resources in 2007 are all available in your 2010 environment.

Once this is done, you can connect to your 2010 environment and open a local copy of your 2007 plan. Use the Assign resources options to replace all resources to the new domain IDs in 2010.

The duplicate resources in your 2010 plans will be a result of having 2 different domains set up, so once you have replaced, you simply remove the unwanted resources.

While performing this activity make sure that your MSP 2010 version and CUs is aligned to that of the 2010 server. You will also want to ensure that task types are set up correctly to avoid schedules and work values being shifted when you publish the plan back.

Hope this helps

Regards, Naweed

• Edited by Naweed Jaulim Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Soudha Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:30 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:37 AM

All replies

• What SP for Project 2007? It must be SP3 and ideally latest Cumulative Update.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hello Gill,

Thanks for the response.

As suggested, I have use SP3 and (not latest update: August CU) ; I can find that the problem persists. The resources are duplicated.Please let me know, when installing msp 2010, which SP and CU I should install ideally?

Do you think I should disable the BCM in server setting msps 2010? Please note that once BCM is disable, we'll not be able to check it again.

Kindly advise.

Warm Regards

Soudha

• Edited by Soudha Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:35 PM edit
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Hi Soudha,

In Project Server 2010, User Logon Account field will identify the enterprise resource uniquely.  If you are creating the generic resource, resource will not require to logon to Project Server, so logon account not required.

I also noticed the symptom, if you have "In Progress task" (task with Actual Work and Remaining Work > 0) with local resource assigned, these local resources will be created as a duplicate enterprise resources.  Is it the case for you?                                                                                                                                             

If you are using the process of saving MPP file to Project Server, you need to map the local resources from MPP to existing Enterprise resources.  Have you tried to use the Import Project and Import Resources wizard?

Please look for “Import Resources to Enterprise” and “Import Project to Enterprise” options in ribbon under Resource, Project tabs in Project Pro.

If you do not see, please follow the steps:

• Open Project Professional 2010 -> File menu -> Options
    • Customize Ribbon -> Commands Not in the Ribbon -> Look for "Import Project to Enterprise" and "Import Resources to Enterprise"
    • Create a new Custom group:  Click on "New Group" and rename to "Import"
    • Select "Import Project to Enterprise" and "Import Resources to Enterprise" and click to Add; these two commands will appear under Import
    • Click OK
    • Now you going to be see Import options in Project Professional.

Once you see those Import options, you can start using "Import Project to Enterprise" option; during this process you will see the option to map the resources from MPP to existing enterprise resources.  If enterprise resource not exists, this process will create a new enterprise resource.  Alternatively, you can use "Import Resource to Enterprise" by using all of your MPPs and then you can start saving the MPPs to Project Server 2010.

Thanks

Chak

Chak Tukkadi pVector Technologies Consulting: http://www.pvectortech.com Blog: http://www.epmcentral.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

As you mentioned, you seem to have a different domain for your 2007 environments, so I would ensure that the resources in 2007 are all available in your 2010 environment.

Once this is done, you can connect to your 2010 environment and open a local copy of your 2007 plan. Use the Assign resources options to replace all resources to the new domain IDs in 2010.

The duplicate resources in your 2010 plans will be a result of having 2 different domains set up, so once you have replaced, you simply remove the unwanted resources.

While performing this activity make sure that your MSP 2010 version and CUs is aligned to that of the 2010 server. You will also want to ensure that task types are set up correctly to avoid schedules and work values being shifted when you publish the plan back.

Hope this helps

Regards, Naweed

• Edited by Naweed Jaulim Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Soudha Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:30 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Hello All,

Thanks for providing your inputs.

I tried the above solution and Naweed's solution best suits to resolve the issue.

Kind Regards

Soudha

Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:32 PM