Running OSD Capture on VMWare ESX 5.5 RRS feed

• Question

• In SCCM 2012 r2, I create capture media (.iso). I then create a VM in VMWare ESX 5.5 and attempt to capture the OS (server 2012 r2) After rebooting into WinPE the process fails with an error

"Failed to find the configuration path"

Running IPConfig from the command prompt in WinPE produces nothing, so I assume the network drivers are an issue.  The VM initially had a VMNet3 nic which I read might have driver issues, so we removed that nic and added the intel 1000E nic (only other choice I believe) and that failed as well.

We then found the VMNet3 driver in the VMWare Tools ISO, imported those into SCCM, added those to the boot image and created new capture media with that boot image.  STILL ipconfig returns nothing and we get the same failure (during hardware initialization after rebooting into winPE the error pops up.

Here are the logs from the VM

SMSTS - convertBootTologicalPath failed 0x8007003  (partition(2)) - does this 29 times and then fails says giving up and then says Failed to find the configuration path

Setupapi.offline.log - Unable to unload hive key … loaded by another process

Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:45 PM

Answers

• the NIC is VMNet3, I've tried the Intel 1000E and I get the same results.

I got past my issue, here is what I did

Grabbed all folders from the VMWare tools ISO

Imported JUST vmxnet3 drivers into SCCM - that didn't work

Imported the driver in the folder pvscsi - that did the trick.

So I had to import BOTH the nic and SCSI driver.  I don't know if I just imported the SCSI driver if that would have fixed my issue, but my boot images now have both driver.

I also had to create capture media using the boot image with BOTH drivers.

• Marked as answer by mrasmussen Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:43 PM

All replies

1. What NIC is the ESXi using? VMNet3 or Intel 1000E?
    2. Is there DHCP in place so that the machine can actually get an address?
    3. Why are you using capture media, why aren't you using standard build & capture method for creating your reference image?

You can obtain the correct drivers from the machine itself, if you just install VMware tools on it and use this tool: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d to grab the corrected drivers for your boot image and for creating driver pack for ESXi 5.5

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:08 PM
  • the NIC is VMNet3, I've tried the Intel 1000E and I get the same results.

I got past my issue, here is what I did

Grabbed all folders from the VMWare tools ISO

Imported JUST vmxnet3 drivers into SCCM - that didn't work

Imported the driver in the folder pvscsi - that did the trick.

So I had to import BOTH the nic and SCSI driver.  I don't know if I just imported the SCSI driver if that would have fixed my issue, but my boot images now have both driver.

I also had to create capture media using the boot image with BOTH drivers.

• Marked as answer by mrasmussen Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:43 PM
  • If you configure your Build Machine to use E1000 and IDE as disk you will not need to import any drivers into WinPE.

If you Use LSI or Paravirtual as disk you will need the drivers (I use Paravirtual for some testmachines but only IDE for build and capture). 

VMXnet3 will also require a driver. Therefore I prefer E1000 for my build and capture boxes

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:22 PM