none
Levelling cannot resolve overallocations RRS feed

• Question

• I have a complex set of tasks that all have their own task calendars, all being done by one resource. I've set the tasks to not ignore resource calendars. When I come to level the resource, it comes up with 'cannot resolve overallocation' problems for at least 50% of the tasks. Not only can I not see why it can't resolve them, but after I've skipped a few, and then clicked on 'stop', it in fact has resolved all the overallocations up to that point. Both team planner and resource views show no overallocations. Yet when I go to level the resource again, it comes up with the same cannot resolve overallocation problems, even though the other views are telling me that there are no overallocation problems to solve. I've not managed to let the levelling run without clicking stop, as it literally crashes the computer.

Can anyone explain this odd behaviour?

Friday, April 11, 2014 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You make me curious. I was going to suggest to let levelng rin since it resolves your problem but then you say it crashes your computer. What exactly do you mean? Does it loop?

By all means, I'd like to see this from close - Can you send the file to

jandemesATprom-ade.be (replace AT by @)?

Greetings,

Friday, April 11, 2014 8:39 PM
  • And do you have the latest service pack for your version of Project? Which is?

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, April 11, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

Since all tasks have their own task calendar and should have the same (is it same or one resource?) resource with the resource calendar ignored then why in the first place assign the resource. 

Let me come back to your question, on why Project gives you repeated alerts during Leveling but resource is not shown as overallocated in Team Planner and other views.

a) Check if there are constraints on the task; insert constraint type and constraint date column in Gantt chart to check if it is Must-Finish-On / Finish-No-Later-Than / Start-No-Later than

b) In Resource Leveling options, what is Look of overallocations on a: dropdown. It should be day-by-day I suppose

c) In Resource Leveling options, deselect Clear leveling values before leveling. Selecting this option will reset the Leveling Delay of all the tasks, and do leveling again

d) In Resource Leveling options, deselect Level only within available slack. This is to make sure the task is delay so late but might affect the project finish date

e) This might be silly. In Gantt chart view, post leveling did you right click the task and select "Ignore Problems for This Task". Don't remember. No worries. Insert the Ignore Warning column and set the values to No (or) select all the tasks and select Show Ignored Problems in Tasks > Inspect option within Task ribbon

If you can send the plan, I would check and tell you where the problem is - sai.prasad.b[at]gmail(dot).com

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:57 AM
  • Thanks to all of your for your offers of help.

Jan - Unfortunately the plan contains sensitive client data, I will try and remove the sensitive data whilst retaining the problem, so that you can have a look for me.

Rod - 2010 Version 14.0.7116.5000. Couldn't tell if it needed a service pack update, so I tried to download sp2 for project 2010 and it said there was no software on my machine that required the update, so I'm presuming it's up to date.

Sai - I need to have been clearer in my question. There is just one resource for this section of the project, and the tasks do not ignore the resource calendar, so project should be looking for times when their two calendars co-incide (there definitely are such times).

Tasks are all constrained by SNET (today's date). I have to have this otherwise leveling re-schedules incomplete tasks to some time in the past (behaviour that's always baffled me). Project is scheduled from project start.

Leveling is minute by minute (it's quite a tight schedule) but I've tried changing it and it made no difference to the number of overallocations it couldn't resolve, just the times it came up with.

Already have clear leveling values checked.

I do actually need to level only within available slack, but as I said, there is actually time for project to do this, I can do it manually in team planner with no overallocations or other conflicts showing up (none that I can see anyway).

I will try and get a non-sensitive version of the plan together (not sure if I can though). In the meantime, any further advice based on the above would would be much appreciated.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Dan.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hello, I have to reactie to a common misunderstanding in your post. leveling as such only delays tasks and will not plan tasks in the past. It is the clear leveling values that resets tasks to old dates (which may indeed be before today) after which leveling postpones them. So don't be baffled, what you do is perfect, setting the SNET constraint on a non-leveled task! Isn't replacing all task and resource names by their ID enough to "desensitize" the plan? Gretings,
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Jan,

Thanks, it has indeed confused me as to what difference it make clearing previous leveling values before leveling. I'm presuming now that for a running project it is best practice not to do this, if you need to re-level after a few changes, to keep the project up-to-date.

The project I have here is made up of three sub-projects, and a resource pool. Replacing the task names and resource names with ID's sounds like the perfect solution, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it with the sub-projects and resource pools. Do I save new versions of sub-projects and resource pools first and then a new master project linking them all, or save a new version of the master project and then make the necessary changes?

Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:31 AM
  • Hi, Don't worry About the master, you can automatically create that when opening the pool. Just need the files and the pool. Greetings,
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:08 AM
  • If you can send the plan, I would check and tell you where the problem is - sai.prasad.b[at]gmail(dot).com

Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:57 PM
  • My Boss has given an absolute and resounding "no" to me changing the plan names or in any way publishing it, I'm afraid. I have, however, found that when I remove 'level within available slack' everything works fine and it doesn't move things to strange places, so I think I must have some deadlines, or other finish dates somewhere which are affecting the schedule in ways I can't see. I will try and look for such things and see if it resolves the problem. I appreciate there's not much you you guys can do without looking at the files, so thanks for your help so far.

Dan.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:53 AM