Font subsitution RRS feed

• Question

• I am design a letterhead template in Word along with other templates where we have a special font that we are using that the client has but is not a standard font. Is it possible to define in the template what font will replace it if the file is sent to someone who doesn't have the original font? For example defining that it will be replaced with Arial(and not Times). As far as I know its not possible to embed fonts in Word templates which would have been the ideal solution.

Appreciate any help on this! Thanks

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Miiirky,

When you install a custom font, each font will work only with the computer you've installed it on. Custom fonts that you've installed on your computer might not display the same way on a different computer. Text that is formatted in a font that is not installed on a computer will display in Times New Roman or the default font.

Therefore, if you plan to share Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint, or Excel files with other people, you'll want to know which fonts are native to the version of Office that the recipient is using. If it isn't native, you may have to embed or distribute the font along with the Word file, PowerPoint presentation, or Excel spreadsheet. Then other users can install the fonts on their computer to use it.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Thanks for your help. Regarding the last part of your answer. So it's possible to embed my font in the Word file, this way the recipients don't have to install fonts ect?  Can I embed fonts in a Word template (such as a letterhead for example) so that when the user makes new documents the font will always be embedded? Do you know if embedding works on Macs as well as PCs? Font licences aren't an issue as the client owns the rights to the custom font.

Thanks!

Marc

Miiirky

Monday, October 29, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Instead of using text, you could replace your letterhead with a photo of the text in the desired font.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, November 10, 2018 12:19 AM