none
MDT Auditing and Logging

Question

•  
    Hi TechNet Community,

First I would like to apologize in advance if this is not the correct place for this question, but I was unable to place it anywhere else.
    In my current work  environment, I am designing an MDT solution that would eventually replace DELL KACE K2000.  The reason I am doing this is because my team and I realized that deploying .wim files are much quicker to deploy over a LAN than the K-Image file format (because of the size).  This, in my opinion, makes the K2000 a bit obsolete for us since it does not provide tools to edit the .wim image with the management interface. As well as we strictly only use the K2000 for imaging, and don't integrate any other Dell features. This also makes the value of it less. Therefore MDT, being a strictly an out-of-the-box tool to deploy images, seemed like a great move.

The only concern I have is it's lack of reporting and logging features. KACE has a rich set of auditing and logging tools that can be used to view many statistics of deployments.  Are there any third party log aggregate tools with nice interfaces that anyone knows of that integrate well with MDT? ie: time to deploy
    Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Daniel Scoland MCP 70-698 CompTIA Security+, Network+, A+ IT Professional

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Even though this is not a MDT forum, I still would like to assist you with question.

To my knowledge, the location of the logs move around depending on what portion of setup we are talking about. Here is a breakdown of the log locations during a MDT install task sequence:

1#Before the Image is applied to the machine:

X:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS

2#After the system drive has been formatted:

C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS

3#After Deployment:

%WINDIR%\TEMP\DeploymentLogs

The logs of most interest for troubleshooting a failed install will be:

BDD.LOG – This is an aggregated log of all the MDT Logs.

SMSTS.LOG – This log would be used to troubleshoot Task Sequence errors

In addition, I find out a good article introducing MDT Deployments log files, maybe you are interested in

Troubleshoot MDT Deployments with log files

http://techthoughts.info/troubleshoot-mdt-deployments-with-log-files/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:56 AM