none
Backup of VM fails after enabling replica.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have hyper-v failover cluster running on 2012 R2,
    and using DPM 2012 R2 to protects the vm's.

When i enabling the vm to replicate to another host,
    that use a nas to Storage. The backup of the primary vm fails With this error:

Starting synchronization on \Online\VM1 failed:

Error 33343: DPM has detected that protection agents are
    not installed on the following server(s) : NAS

Recommended action: 1) To install agents on these
    servers, on the Agents tab in the Management task area, click Install in the
    Action pane.

2) If any of the above servers correspond to a cluster or
    a mirror, you need to install the DPM protection agent on all the physical
    nodes of that cluster/mirror.

So why does the dpm need to have an agent on the storage
    that the replicated vm is using? When I’m trying to backup the primary vm.

Best Regards

• Edited by _mas_ Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We introduced a Hyper-V replica fix in DPM 2012 r2 UR7

<snip>
    You try to back up Hyper-V virtual machines (VM) that have a replica, and both the Active virtual machine and the Replica virtual machine are managed by the same System Center VMM server. Previously, you had no control to select between Active and Replica virtual machines for backup. This frequently caused backups to fail, depending on the setup.

After you install  this update, DPM will always back up the virtual machine that you selected while it creates the Protection Group even if there is a failover. For example, you have Host1\VM1 and Host2\VM1, where Host2\VM1 is replica of Host1\VM1. You select to back up Host2\VM1 while it is creating the Protection Group so that DPM always backs up Host2\VM1.
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by EugeneLeitanMVP Monday, October 19, 2015 6:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by _mas_ Monday, October 26, 2015 3:52 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a known issue we are working on fixing.  Do you have VM mobility tracking enabled ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

When do you think the fix will be ready?

No i dont have enabled vm mobility tracking. We have VMM, but not integration With dpm.

I try to suspend vm replication, than i can backup one vm. try do the same on another vm, but then it fails...

• Edited by _mas_ Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:27 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have any timeline for a potential fix, it was just recently brought to our attention. 

Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates about this problem?

Thank you,

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

The fix got slipped and didn't make it unto UR6 that we released today.  We're shooting for the next UR barring any problems.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:06 PM
  • I am having the same problem and want to check on the status of the fix.

Thanks

Friday, October 16, 2015 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

We introduced a Hyper-V replica fix in DPM 2012 r2 UR7

<snip>
    You try to back up Hyper-V virtual machines (VM) that have a replica, and both the Active virtual machine and the Replica virtual machine are managed by the same System Center VMM server. Previously, you had no control to select between Active and Replica virtual machines for backup. This frequently caused backups to fail, depending on the setup.

After you install  this update, DPM will always back up the virtual machine that you selected while it creates the Protection Group even if there is a failover. For example, you have Host1\VM1 and Host2\VM1, where Host2\VM1 is replica of Host1\VM1. You select to back up Host2\VM1 while it is creating the Protection Group so that DPM always backs up Host2\VM1.
    >snip<

• Proposed as answer by EugeneLeitanMVP Monday, October 19, 2015 6:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by _mas_ Monday, October 26, 2015 3:52 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 10:39 PM