WHEN MEDIA STREAMING IS ON AND COMPUTER IS IDLE WINDOWS WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY SLEEP AFTER SET TIME RRS feed

• Question

• As the title implies. I have isolated the issue.   If media streaming is on (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings>Media Streaming) the computer will not idle sleep automatically.  
    I have triple checked and the advanced setting that deals with this says:  1)When sharing media:  Allow the computer to sleep. 2) Allow sleep with remote open: on.
    So there shouldn't be a reason why the computer will not idle to sleep when appropriate time has passed.  The thing is that  If I disable media streaming  without changing any of the power configurations the computer automatically goes to sleep after the right amount of time has passed (for testing purposes 2 minutes of idle time)
    I have run the following comand on an elevated CMD promt:"powercfg -energy -duration 180" and let the machine idle.   When media streaming is on I get the following error:
    System Availability Requests:System Required Request
    The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet
    The interesting thing is that while this test ran my entire network was off.  So neither my ps3 nor my other pc could access my laptop.  
    I have a Windows 7 home premium 64 bit with SP1 and all the current patches till October 12, 2011.
    I want to be able to have media streaming on and make my idle to sleep, Ideas?

• Edited by solracotos Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:47 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to run the following command:

Powercfg -requests

/requests option for the Powercfg command lets you enumerate application and driver requests that prevent the computer from automatically turning off the display or entering Sleep mode.

If you found some drivers and services, /requestsoverride option for the Powercfg command lets you override either individual availability requests or all availability requests.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:02 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to run the following command:

Powercfg -requests

/requests option for the Powercfg command lets you enumerate application and driver requests that prevent the computer from automatically turning off the display or entering Sleep mode.

If you found some drivers and services, /requestsoverride option for the Powercfg command lets you override either individual availability requests or all availability requests.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:02 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:38 AM
  • If a computer is using cpu or i/o playing media, I think it makes sense it wouldn't sleep.

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:36 PM