TMG 2010 PPPEO server or Internet VPN Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working as local internet provider using Ms ISA Server 2006. its awesome, caching, security, management is really easy. right now i managing all users with their IP's its difficult coz many time users ip automatically changed while i reserved their ip in DHCP. if user change their ip then internet works and now i want to know how to setup ISA OR TMG PPPOE server or VPN Server?

i tried to setup VPN Server but its not working.

machine configuration:

IBM eServer, Raid 0&1, 2 GB ram, 3 NIC cards,

Internal: 10.0.0.1/254

External: 192.168.1.1/254

3rd NIC: Free

1. user can connect through Dialer to use Internet other wise they will not.

2. i want to setup a local web server on local area network user can also brows that.

Please reply,

Arman

• Edited by Arman.Alam Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:08 AM something Missed
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry Arman, but i didnt get you exactly. How do your users connect at the moment or how are they connected with you? I am not really sure where you want to run the vpn server internal or external. Can you give me some more details please?

Thx

Andreas

Andreas Hecker - Blog: http://microsoft-iag.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:19 PM
  • they connected with isa 2006 firewall to use internet. now i want them to use internet with authentication like with user name and password and i think there is the great option is internet VPN server or PPPOE server to provide internet services to clients.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

“i want them to use internet with authentication like with user name and password”-You can create access rule to allow authenticated users to access the Internet.

“and i think there is the great option is internet VPN server or PPPOE server to provide internet services to clients.”- do you want the VPN users to access Internet? Just create access rule to allow the access.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:11 AM
  • thanks for your reply Nick,

i have created a rule to allow authenticated user to access the internet but it will only for proxy users and will not apply on SecureNAT users and my all clients didnt do any proxy settings they just plug the lan cable and use internet.

SecureNAT feature is just like a router plug the cable in your computer and browse the internet and user the messengers without any proxy settings. i work on secureNAT not on proxy.

kindly tell me is there any option to enable or setup PPPOE services in ISA 2006 or in TMG 2010? like client connect with PPPOE dialup to ISA/TMG and authenticate with user name and password to user internet?

OR

VPN server in local area environment to access the internet ?

plz plz plz guide me

Arman

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

“i have created a rule to allow authenticated user to access the internet but it will only for proxy users and will not apply on Secure NAT users”- yes, this is by design, SecureNAT Client does not support User Based Authentication. You have to use web proxy client or firewall client to authenticate users.

“is there any option to enable or setup PPPOE services in ISA 2006 or in TMG 2010?”- please refer to this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837830/en-us

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, October 22, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Sorry about to made a mistake in question. that is not PPPoE Service that is actually PPPoE Server regards, Arman
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I did some research and fund the following article may help you to setup a PPPOE server.

http://pppoeserver.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-install-windows-pppoe-server.html

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:48 AM