Random Vista Appearance Change RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, my computer just changed from one appearance style to another, but I've tried to change it back and my original style does not appear to be an option. I've just been working on the internet for a while, and I had a webpage lock up a few times in a row (I kept trying to go back to read it). Then, after everything but the taskbar went black for just a second, my computer came back with a new appearance. I noticed it when I went to close a window and the minimize/maximize/close buttons were different. Then I noticed that the blue bar across the top is different and the start menu highlights things differently. There may be more changes that I haven't found yet, but why did it change and how do I change it back? I've been to "Appearance and Personalization" and looked at the options, but none of them appear to be what I had originally.

This is an example of what my apprearance used to look like (notice the buttons at the top right and the bar across the top): http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/customizeWindowsVista/customizingAppearanceAndSounds/img7F.jpg

This is an example of what it spontaneously changed to: http://www.sony-asia.com/vaio/attachments/stanleyy/VistaFAQs/59658/4.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

-I found another change. There is a button down at the bottom left by the orb that I click and it shows all my open windows in a kind of 3D look (with the windows stacked on each other going backward). However, it doesn't do that anymore. It pops up what looks like the "alt-tab" function on older versions of windows. Which brings me to another change. The "alt-tab" function is different now too. It used to show me little screen shots of the different windows I have open, now it only shows a logo for the program that the window is from. Very obnoxious because it's hard to tell which window is which...

-Another change. When I click on the icons in the bottom right part of my taskbar, the little windows that pop up just above them are different.

-When I hold the mouse over the minimized windows in the taskbar it doesn't show me little screenshots anymore. It just pops up a little text description in an off-white bubble.

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration. Also perform a full system scan to make sure the system is clean.

What is the make and model of your PC? Please go to device manager, right click on your display card to check if it is working properly. Please also run “update driver software” from the right click content. Check if there is any update for your graphic card from the manufacture’s website.

Meanwhile, please go to Personalization, switch to another theme within those Aero Themes to check the result.

If no difference, I would suggest prepare clean boot to troubleshoot the issue. Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration. Also perform a full system scan to make sure the system is clean.

What is the make and model of your PC? Please go to device manager, right click on your display card to check if it is working properly. Please also run “update driver software” from the right click content. Check if there is any update for your graphic card from the manufacture’s website.

Meanwhile, please go to Personalization, switch to another theme within those Aero Themes to check the result.

If no difference, I would suggest prepare clean boot to troubleshoot the issue. Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:26 AM
  • thank you very much Magon Liu, had the same problem and I went to Personalization, switch to another theme within those Aero Themes, realised the theme was not under windows vista. It has worked thank you
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Dear Magon Liu,

Fabulous, just the right piece of information, it got me up and running in an hour and a half, which I believe is far quicker than trying to sort it out myself.

The System Restore, became available, and worked, though I'm not sure that I can trust Microsoft update again!

Best Regards,

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:13 PM