How to create blank option in choice list RRS feed

• Question

• I have a choice list that is not a required field. It is not possible for user, when editing a list item, to remove their choice and have no choice.  I can't seem to create a blank field.  I've tried different tricks when entering the choices, but nothing works.  Short of JS, is there a way to do this? I really don't want to create a "none" selection option.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:35 AM

Answers

• Hi run4it,

I tested with set a blank space in Default valueas as calculated Value type in SharePoint 2007, and the chice field shows blank, and it can be selected and saved.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:54 AM

All replies

• Edit: I initially said to customize in InfoPath, but I now see this is in legacy versions.

Since we can't use InfoPath, try this:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/19076/how-to-add-blank-to-choice-field

Andy Wessendorf SharePoint Developer II | Rackspace andy.wessendorf@rackspace.com

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi run4it,

I tested with set a blank space in Default valueas as calculated Value type in SharePoint 2007, and the chice field shows blank, and it can be selected and saved.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi Daniel - That appears to be correct, but only when creating a new item.

When editing the item, we cannot set it back to blank, even though the field is not required.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:00 PM