locked
Stsadm migrateuser throwing storage quota error RRS feed

  • Question

  • Running stsadm -o migrateuser for some users who had their AD login names changed.

    For some people I am getting this error:

    Your changes could not be saved because this SharePoint Web site has exceeded the storage quota limit.
    You must save your work to another location.  Contact your administrator to change the quota limits for the Web site.

    I checked all the sites on my farm, and NONE of them are exceeding any quota limits. I went site-by-site on all my web applications and no quotas are being exceeded.

    The strange thing is, the migration seems to run fine even though this error pops up.

    Any ideas?

    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:13 AM

Answers

  • Ok this one was my fault. I take back what I said about checking all the site collections on the farm. There was actually another person's My Site that had exceeded its storage quota I didn't see at first.

    Because the user I was migrating has farm admin access, it must have tried to touch all My Sites to update his permissions.

    After bumping up the quota for the overloaded My Site, the stsadm migrate ran just fine.

    • Marked as answer by kleung Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:19 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Do those users have MySite's associated with the user ID that are lost to the quota?  I know you said you check on the web apps, just wanted to make sure you checked the my site web app.
    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:21 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Do those users have MySite's associated with the user ID that are lost to the quota?  I know you said you check on the web apps, just wanted to make sure you checked the my site web app.
    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:21 AM
    Moderator
  • Yes I checked the My Site web app. I checked all of our web apps. It took me a couple hours but I physically looked at every single site collection in the farm (not easy using the CA interface mind you) and no site collections are bumping up against any storage quotas.
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Ok this one was my fault. I take back what I said about checking all the site collections on the farm. There was actually another person's My Site that had exceeded its storage quota I didn't see at first.

    Because the user I was migrating has farm admin access, it must have tried to touch all My Sites to update his permissions.

    After bumping up the quota for the overloaded My Site, the stsadm migrate ran just fine.

    • Marked as answer by kleung Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:19 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Excellent... Glad it worked out.
    Kris Wagner, MVP, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://www.sharepointkris.com/blog
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:00 PM
    Moderator