.LNK every icon on my laptop has the internet explorer logo on it? RRS feed

• Question

• There is an open download whenever i click on internet explorer with the file name as -"C:\Users\U/N\AppData\Roaming\microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs" I have tried everthing I could think of. I cannot open this file nor save it, and I can't delete it. I'm working on an "ACER ASPIRE 5332 windows 7" Please help if you can????
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• It appears as if the shortcuts (.lnk) file association is broken. You can download the .lnk file association registry fix from my File Associations page. Download, unzip and run the .REG file, which resets the shortcuts file association to defaults.

(FYI, the REG file is a plain-text file which you can open using Notepad, in case you need to check out its contents before merging.)

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:21 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:10 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• It appears as if the shortcuts (.lnk) file association is broken. You can download the .lnk file association registry fix from my File Associations page. Download, unzip and run the .REG file, which resets the shortcuts file association to defaults.

(FYI, the REG file is a plain-text file which you can open using Notepad, in case you need to check out its contents before merging.)

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:21 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for this.;  I have downloaded the suggested file on another computer (since I can no longer access the internet).  When I transfer the file to the broken laptop via a SD card and open it I get the message

Cannot import F:(backslash)lnk_fix_w7.reg:Not all data was successfully written to the registry.  Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:51 PM
  • I've just had another look at the problem laptop and all the various porgrams seem to be working again including Firefox but the icons are still like the internet explorer icon.  Anhy ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Restarting has solved the icon problem.  Hope this helps someone else, perhaps.....
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:00 PM
  • thank you so much!!! i was about to loose my mind!!

Friday, December 23, 2011 11:58 PM