Help with setting up a notification RRS feed

• Question

• Helllo everyone!

I am trying to setup a notification that runs when a P1 (priority 1) incident is not updated within 30 minutes to notify a certain manager.

I have setup the notification to notify periodically when object meets a criteria, with the incident class targeted. Additional criteria is set to "Trouble Ticket Priority equals 1" AND "Last modified is greater than or equal to relative [now-30m]

2 questions:

1) Is this setup correctly for my desired end goal? I want scsm to send a notification once an incident has been created and not updated for more than 30 mins, and to keep notifying every 10 minutes until that condition is satisfied.

2) now-30m is apparently not the correct syntax (although I do not get an error or red box indicating so). What is the syntax to instruct "30 minutes ago" in the notifications? I couldn't find any documentation on this...

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've created the notification workflow and it works like a charm. What's the problem?

Cheers,
    Marat
    Site: www.scutils.com  Twitter: LinkedIn: Graveyard:

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, March 9, 2015 2:39 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you really need to send the notification when an incident with Priority 1 is not updated last 30 minutes? If you don't change the Priority, then your workflow will span someone with this info. Imagine a weekend.

Cheers,
    Marat

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:44 AM
  •    If you meant all FRESH incidents not addressed(updated in initial 30 mins) 

then you should try to create a criteria like below,

CreatedDate <= now - 30 mins

CreatedDate >= now - 45 mins

LastModified = CreatedDate

But sure you would run into lot of notifications on off days. So better approach is to handle such things using SCSM SLA configuration.

Doing that same in SLA would not just give you two level of notifications I-e warning and breach but would cater to your off days and other holidays as well would give you reports.

Shahid Roofi

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:25 AM
  • Another option could be to use a PowerShell workflow in SCSM intstead of the notification workflow.In a PowerShell script you have way more option for building a criteria. For instance:

"Send mail every 10 minutes if Incident = Prio 1 and Last ModifiedDate is now-10m and day of week isn't Saturday or Sunday and ... and ... and ..."  

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Our help desk is 24/7, 365 days a year, so we have no off days. If a ticket is P1 it HAS to be solved within a few hours (depending on the SLA made with the client)

EDIT: Sorry, I have no clue why this got marked as answer... must have been an accidental click
    • Marked as answer by SirLearnAlot Friday, February 27, 2015 2:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SirLearnAlot Friday, February 27, 2015 3:40 PM
    • Edited by SirLearnAlot Friday, February 27, 2015 3:41 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:35 PM
  • You're correct, I should use CreatedDate. Dont know why I used LastModified...

However, I am asking how do I write the syntax to instruct "now - 30 mins". I have entered [now-30m]

Is this correct?

Also, CreatedDate <= now - 30 mins seems correct but why did you enter the second line  CreatedDate >= now - 45 mins?

and why am I setting LastModified to = CreatedDate?

Also, we have no off days. Our service calender is 365 days a year, 24/7. So this would not be a problem. Also, I have already setup SLA as follows:

Calendar, Mon-Sun 12:00AM - 11:59PM

SLO's & metric - Ticket Must be picked up within 15 mins or else warning

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:56 PM
  • No need for adding days off as mentioned above, our company has a 24/7, 365 day/year help desk.

Is there any need to do this in a workflow with my requirements? All i need is scsm to send a notification to a MS (managed services) manager once a P1 ticket has been created, yet has not been updated (picked up) within 30 minutes of creation (this scenario would likely only occur if the customer submits an incident via portal and helpdesk does not respond immediately for some odd reason).

Friday, February 27, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Also, I tried implementing this through SLO's but here is the problem. I can create a metric and the start date would be creation date, the end date being First Response Date. However, when I setup the SLO I would have to apply the additional criteria (the ticket has to be P1) to each work item queue... I have over 100 queues (1 for each customer). Too much manual work
    Friday, February 27, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

I've created the notification workflow and it works like a charm. What's the problem?

Cheers,
    Marat

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, March 9, 2015 2:39 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 4:20 PM