none
Are IE 11 administrative Templates backwards compatible? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an environment that has a wide range of versions of IE installed, though I'm working hard to get everyone updated.  I believe it is likely that my inetres file in the central store may be for ie8 or 9.  It has a size of 2770KB and the modified date is back in 2011.  Anyway, my question is, if I go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40905 and download the KB2841134, can I replace the files in my central store safely with the settings still being there for prior versions?  In otherwords, is it backwards compatible?  Would certainly hate to wipe out a bunch of older settings that may still apply to some computers.
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:55 PM

Answers

• Yes the IE ADMX template files are down-version-compatible. (so are the Windows templates, but, not the Office templates)

plus, changing/updating/backdating ADMX template files, does not affect existing GP settings in any way (because the GPOs already exist, the template is irrelevant, unless you are modifying an existing GPO after installing the revised template)

Note that updating to the latest inetres.admx/adml, doesn't affect GPP , and it won't help with IEM-deprecation.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by jwood00 Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:05 AM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:46 PM

All replies

• Yes the IE ADMX template files are down-version-compatible. (so are the Windows templates, but, not the Office templates)

plus, changing/updating/backdating ADMX template files, does not affect existing GP settings in any way (because the GPOs already exist, the template is irrelevant, unless you are modifying an existing GPO after installing the revised template)

Note that updating to the latest inetres.admx/adml, doesn't affect GPP , and it won't help with IEM-deprecation.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by jwood00 Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:05 AM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:46 PM
  • Thank you for your answer Don.  So if I understand you right, GP settings will stay the same, but in theory I may have new settings available then, is that right?

Also, what is the best method for replacing the older templates?  Just copy over them in the central store?

Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:36 AM
  • GP settings will stay the same, but in theory I may have new settings available then, is that right?

Yes. It's also sometimes the case, that an existing setting name might be renamed or relocated in the settings "tree" in the newer version of an ADMX.

Also, what is the best method for replacing the older templates?  Just copy over them in the central store?

If you are using a CS, then yes. If you aren't using a CS, instead, copy over them in c:\windows\policydefinitions.
    You might also choose to make a backup copy of the original ADMX files before you overwrite them. This caters for the possibility of a rollback, and, in case somebody has customized the files.

Note that to copy over the files in c:\windows\policydefinitions, you may need to take-ownership of the files, grant yourself permissions, before you will be able to overwrite those inbox files (they will likely be owned by TrustedInstaller, and you will only have Read permissions).

After you have updated the files (ADMX and the accompanying ADML in the relevant locale-specific subfolder e.g. en-US), open up GPMC and browse to a GPO, click on the "Settings" property sheet (which runs an RSOP), and check for any "Extra Registry Settings" appearing - if you have this, this usually means that a setting is defined in the GPO and isn't mapped within the ADMX currently in use. (this doesn't mean that the setting is no longer valid/applicable, just that the current ADMX library doesn't have a mapping for that setting. There can be multiple causes for that)

Don

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by jwood00 Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jwood00 Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:05 AM
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Thank you much.  So is it best practices then that anytime a new version of IE is released for example that you download the new templates.  For some reason I'd never really been in the habit of doing that and as I said, the ones I have are obviously outdated.

Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:56 AM
  • So is it best practices then that anytime a new version of IE is released for example that you download the new templates.  For some reason I'd never really been in the habit of doing that and as I said, the ones I have are obviously outdated.

I would say that "it depends" on how you operate in your environment.

If you are needing to deal with GP settings for products, and new products are appearing in your environment, there are often new settings, and therefore new templates (to manage the new settings).

I try to keep up with those new features, and the settings, and templates, not just for IE, but in general, by maintaining this article:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4976.selected-content-relating-to-group-policy-administrative-templates-adm-and-admx.aspx

Don

Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:20 AM