SCCM 2012 R2 to SCCM 1511 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am planning to upgrade my SCCM 2012 R2 infra to SCCM 1511 and to SCCM 1602 eventually. Could you provide your opinions and suggestions considering the following

I have around 20 DPs and 1 primary site where total number of clients would be around 8000 on W7. 

We are running on SCCM 2012 R2 and supporting around 20 task sequence for reimaging purpose

a. If we want to upgrade to 1511 where could I get the files to upgrade. 

b. Could we do the upgrade with the existing license which is available for SCCM 2012 R2 

c. Upgrading the SCCM would provide new version of boot files. So do we need to inject the NIC and Storage drivers once again for the reimaging purpose. 

d. Do we need to point out the boot image to the new one for every task sequence ?

e. Are there any precautions that needs to be taken care for the upgrade. 

Any advise is much appreciated. 

• Edited by _KCK_ Monday, August 1, 2016 7:05 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 6:58 PM

Answers

• a. Generally the volume license service center (CB is not a free upgrade).

b. Not unless you are entitled to it.

c. Not really. ConfigMgr uses boot files created by the ADK. CB requires the ADK for Win 10. Thus, the answer depends upon which ADK you are currently using. However, you can actually still continue to use older boot image no problem. So the answer is yes and no.

d. See c. Not necessarily.

e. Yes, don't drink and drive. Follow the upgrade checklist on TechNet and you'll be fine.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, August 1, 2016 8:25 PM
  • a. For any version of 2012, no, same license (assuming you have a license for R2). For CB, that depends upon how you licensed it. You need to contact your license reseller.

b. There is no *free* upgrade. Contact your license reseller for your licensing path forward.

c. For deploying Win 10 you'll need boot image created from the latest ADK which means injecting Win 10 drivers into those boot images if (and only if) needed.

d. As noted, you *must* go with a Win 10 ADK for CB -- you don't have a choice. This is independent from the boot image used for a TS though. Your existing TSes for down-level OSes deployment can continue to use the existing down-level boot images.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 9:00 PM

All replies

• a. Generally the volume license service center (CB is not a free upgrade).

b. Not unless you are entitled to it.

c. Not really. ConfigMgr uses boot files created by the ADK. CB requires the ADK for Win 10. Thus, the answer depends upon which ADK you are currently using. However, you can actually still continue to use older boot image no problem. So the answer is yes and no.

d. See c. Not necessarily.

e. Yes, don't drink and drive. Follow the upgrade checklist on TechNet and you'll be fine.

Monday, August 1, 2016 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

"c. Upgrading the SCCM would provide new version of boot files. So do we need to inject the NIC and Storage drivers once again for the reimaging purpose. "

You can still use the old boot images if you don't want to deploy win10. However, the Drivers/Customization/Optional Component tabs will be missing from your old boot images' properties. So when add new drivers to these boot images you will feel a bit inconvenient. If you have such need, I think use the new win10 boot images instead of the old ones will be better.

Best regards,

Jimmy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 9:16 AM
  • Jason, 

Thank you for your email. Inline with your reply to the points

a. My 2012 R2 is licensed. So does this mean we will have to procure new files if we want to go upgrade to any of the products 2012 SP1, 2012 R2 SP1, 2012 SP2, or 1511 . Am I correct? 

b. How could I check this if my 2012 R2 is entitled for the free upgrade

c. I am currently using 8.1 ADK. However want to have 10 ADK to provide Windows 10 reimaging capability. 

d. In case if I go with 10 ADK, at that time I will have to modify the boot image for every task sequence and inject the drivers . Am I correct ?

e. :) 

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:43 PM
  • a. For any version of 2012, no, same license (assuming you have a license for R2). For CB, that depends upon how you licensed it. You need to contact your license reseller.

b. There is no *free* upgrade. Contact your license reseller for your licensing path forward.

c. For deploying Win 10 you'll need boot image created from the latest ADK which means injecting Win 10 drivers into those boot images if (and only if) needed.

d. As noted, you *must* go with a Win 10 ADK for CB -- you don't have a choice. This is independent from the boot image used for a TS though. Your existing TSes for down-level OSes deployment can continue to use the existing down-level boot images.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 9:00 PM