none
One folder on the server becomes slow until reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking for a solution to this issue that I have never seen before.

Scenario:

Our client has a Windows Server 2016 with a Windows server 2012 Terminal server in Hyper-V

90% of users use thin client into 2012 TS - no issues.

Only 1 PC on site. It uses TS and local access to 2016 server.
    They run a program directly off the server - executable launches on a mapped drive. All users running from the TS run fine, no issues. After a couple of days the PC accessing from its mapped drive to the server ends up taking about 30 minutes before the app appears.
    Adding to this... the same symptoms occur if you run the application from the local drive of the 2016 server.
    More additionally - when this state occurs - if you try to change permissions etc on that folder where the application resides - it is also painfully slow. Only rebooting gets performance back and only for about a day.
    Folders in same master folder or anywhere else on the drive are not affected - only this one folder (and its sub-folders) becomes slow (this folder is not the root of the mapped drive either - other folders in the mapped drive are performing normally).

I have seen reports about 'customizing' the folder (from documents or pictures etc to 'General Items') and have tried that. No affect.

The folder is only 1.3Gb in size... has 3000 files in 200 folders - no folder has more than 1000 files in it.

I would love some insight on this - seems like some kind of folder access limits or lockouts.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig Maunder,

>They run a program directly off the server - executable launches on a mapped drive

>the same symptoms occur if you run the application from the local drive of the 2016 server.

>Folders in same master folder or anywhere else on the drive are not affected - only this one folder (and its sub-folders) becomes slow

May I ask do you mean when you run the application which is under to the folder, it's slow?

What is the  application?

According to your description, other folders doesn't affect.

Could you please temporarily disable the application, and try to access other folders under it. Is it still slowly?

In addition, please also contact your application vendor to consult if the service lead to this.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Sorry this has been delayed - I never even noticed a reply.

The application suite in question is Handisoft (Handitax etc)

The program is installed on the server like a normal program, then the client access PC runs the executable from a mapped drive/UNC

For the most part they use a Terminal Server to access it - this never has any issue with any users... but there is one PC on the network as well (for scanning purposes etc) which gets progressively slow at loading the program, until the server that hosts the program is rebooted. This PC never has any problem accessing general data files on the same server, only the application.

Here's the interesting bit - on the physical server that hosts the program - you can copy files around from disk to disk locally with no problem - but if you copy the folder that hosts the program to another location (copy, not move) - incredibly slow... even just to copy the folder to the same drive. Copying a folder right next to the application one is normal speed.

We worked around it by simply scheduling a reboot of the server every week but the situation is steadily getting worse.

Just a new note - we believe the anti virus software is somehow related.
    Monday, July 23, 2018 4:41 AM