none
Best way to forward emails to an external email addresses and why? RRS feed

• Question

• Our company is splitting up and some users needs to forward their current emails to the new external email addresses until they fully moved . What is the best way and why? create a rule for each users and forward the emails or create anew mail contact for each users? we are on exchange 2010. Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Creating a new mail box for new splitting part of the company is a best practice if domain suffix is changed.

You can enable inbox rule to forward new mails which you are receiving.

This action is taken to avoid missing emails and avoid NDR for senders

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:45 PM
  • Our company is splitting up and some users needs to forward their current emails to the new external email addresses until they fully moved . What is the best way and why? create a rule for each users and forward the emails or create anew mail contact for each users? we are on exchange 2010. Thanks.

There is no best way really. But I would set SMTP forwarding at the mailbox level rather then creating an Outlook rule or creating a contact.

This is an example:

Set-Mailbox -Identity "Ken Sanchez" -ForwardingSMTPAddress "pilarp@contoso.com"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/user-mailboxes/email-forwarding?view=exchserver-2019

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:53 PM
  • You can set the mailforwarding from current email address to external email address but that can be done only through powershell but not through GUI. As GUI can help in setting the mail forwarding internally or with the objects listed in environment in any way(either by contact or mailbox or mailuser...)

Below is the command to set the mailforwarding

Set-Mailbox -Identity "emailaddress of the user" -ForwardingSMTPAddress "external emailaddress" -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true.

-DeliverToMailboxAndForward is the option which is used when any mail forwarding is set and a copy of the email has to be in the original email address as well. If it is set to false then the email will directly get forwarded to the external email address but it would not leave any copy of the email in the original email address.

Kindly mark it as answer if that helped

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Thank you all for replying. I really appreciated.

I thought you have to create a mail contact to forward external emails? They want a copy of the email for both email addresses.

What would be identity, the email address (email@domain.com) or the user display name (john doe)? What would be the reverse syntac to disabled/cancel  the forward?

Thanks

• Edited by my3cents Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:13 PM
  • Not required.. there is no need to create any mail contact or Mailuser or anything else to setup forwarding to external email address.

You can simply use the below command to have the mail forwarding setup for external email address through Powershell.

Set-Mailbox -Identity "emailaddress of the user" -ForwardingSMTPAddress "external emailaddress" -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true.

DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true :- Having this value true means it would have a copy of email on both email addresses.

-Identity :- IT can be email address or the UPN value or the loginid of the user or the Display Name.(mostly got with users email address )

to remove the Mail forwarding..Use the below command

Set-mailbox -Identity "emailaddress or login id or upn " -forwardingStmpaddress $null -delivertomailboxandforward $false

Kindly mark it as answer if that helped

13 hours 36 minutes ago
  • Thank you all for replying. I really appreciated.

I thought you have to create a mail contact to forward external emails? They want a copy of the email for both email addresses.

What would be identity, the email address (email@domain.com) or the user display name (john doe)? What would be the reverse syntac to disabled/cancel  the forward?

Thanks

See my previous comment above

Set-Mailbox -Identity "Ken Sanchez" -ForwardingSMTPAddress "pilarp@contoso.com"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/user-mailboxes/email-forwarding?view=exchserver-2019

The Forwarding SMTP address is external SMTP address - forwarded from the mailbox "Ken Sanchez"
    13 hours 27 minutes ago