new twist RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone, I'm new to this game but seem to bring a new twist to the equation. Maybe someone can help?

I just bought a new Dell with Vista Premium Home Edition as an upgrade to the old XP, with the apparently toxic AMD processor combination. I've had success storing photos in my old system with a Maxtor external hard drive, along with other documents and spread sheets. I linked up the hard drive to move the information over to the new machine and was able to retrieve Word docs as well as Excel docs, but soon after opening my first photo files on the new machine it locked up briefly (during a slide show). When I attempted to open another file from the Maxtor the next morning, the machine no longer recognized the external hard drive and gave me an "I/O device error" message.

After freezing up a couple more times, Vista told me I had to format the hard drive for the new machine (even though it read the files fine for 3 days prior) and that all the info on the hard drive would be erased when I did so. I reconnected the Maxtor to my old machine to see if I had enough space to back up the photo files there before attempting a reformat (I'm a journalist and Word docs were already backed up), but got the same I/O error message. Tried also with a laptop with the same result.

After doing some web sleuthing I came across this forum, which seems to indicate my troubles have just begun. It sounds like even if I can get the new computer to recognize the Maxtor again it will only corrupt my photo files, if they haven't been damaged already.

Can anyone suggest a way to get my photos back at least on my old XP machine? If I do a reformat, will it erase them all? How about a "quick reformat?" And if I do that in order to get them onto the new Dell/Vista, should I expect the images to be corrupted?

I'm thinking of taking the Maxtor in somewhere to try a "data retrieve" and then shipping the machine back to Dell before it causes any further damage.

Any thoughts?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:37 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows Vista Deployment and Imaging)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:13 AM