none
Backup DPM database to Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to backup the DPM database to Azure using the Azure backup agent? We previously used an online backup solution from HP, and it had a way to backup your local DPM database directly to the cloud to ensure that you were always able to recover the workloads you were storing there. It appears that with DPM you need to handle the DPM database backup completely separate, but I wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Thanks.
    Friday, May 2, 2014 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, DPM online backups support SQL databases including its own DB.  Disaster recovery steps are not eloquent, but see this post.

Azure recovery from different server
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazureonlinebackup/thread/9614bf2a-df71-4d70-9003-1cc1640fd4ec

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 2, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
    Friday, May 2, 2014 8:26 PM
  • I went through these steps but must be missing something when it comes to actually accessing the backed up DB.  I'm able to connect to the vault using a separate server, but how do I actually find the DPM databases? The items to recover are listed by the replica GUID-named paths, and even if I go to each one and search them, none of them contain databases.

Do I need to backup DPM DBs using SQL tools and then backup the .bak files using DPM, or is there something I'm missing?  Thanks!

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Hi, I've just asked almost the same question over in the Azure Backup forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/a21fbee8-884a-4a0e-9e15-9be2dc3e6bc9/recovery-of-dpm-server-using-azure-backup?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup then found this will digging around for answers after the fact. 

Did you ever get an answer to this problem, as it seems totally unworkable to me at the moment.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:59 PM
  • What I've found is that if all the databases are there, but you can't find them doing a search.  Because of that, it seems as though you just have to start doing restores and see what you get to find the correct database.  The one piece of data you do get when presented with the replica restore list, is that each replica shows the time it was backed up.  Based on this I'm thinking you could use this backup time as an identifier, but it will take some specific planning in the protection groups.

Not a very efficient solution by any means, but I guess the data is in the cloud and that's what matters.  I'm also tying to figure out how to restore my DPM server and hook up it back up to Azure to do elegant restores from the cloud, but I'm having trouble with that as well.  That's a topic for a different post I suppose though. I keep hoping there's something I'm missing with all of this, but so far that's where I'm at.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:25 PM
  • I opened a support case with MS as the experience was so bad I was sure I was doing something wrong.

Turns out there is a bug in the Azure Backup client which will need to be fixed to cure the error I was getting.

I think I'm going to abandon Azure Backup for now, and set a DPM server up in IaaS to replicate my data to. Which is a shame as the DPM-Azure side of this works very well, but if I can't get the DPM server up and running in the first place it's all for nothing.

Stephen.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Hi

You can use Windows Powershell to recover a DPM Database backup from azure using Windows Azure backup agent.

See the new announcement at the top of this forum for details.

Once restored, you can rebuild the DPM Server using the same machine name and install the same DPM QFE's - then replace the DB with the restored DB and run dpmsync -sync to get the DPM server back in production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:08 PM