Couldn't connect to the source mailbox when running - New-PublicFolderMigrationRequest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm migrating my public Folders from Exchange 2010 SP3 to Exchange 2013 Cu1.

I've created the two required CSV's and and a new public folder using the holdformigration switch.

When I run New-PublicFolderMigrationRequest I recieve "Couldn't connect to the source mailbox"

any ideas what the problem could be?

Gil Gross | Project Manager & Technical Consultant | G-Net Network Solutions | www.g-net.co.il

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:40 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem (Couldn't connect to the source mailbox), when began Public folders migration from Exchange 2007 SP3 RU10 to Exchange 2013 CU1.

I tried Test-MAPIConnectivity -server **** | fl  , and get error:

No mailboxes were found on the server "****" to perform the operation.

The reason was, that old Exchange 2007 server had only one Public Folders database and no Mailbox databases. I create empty mailbox database on it, after AD replication across the forest command new-publicfoldermigrationrequest worked well.

• Marked as answer by Gil Gross Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:18 AM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please check if your steps are right as the following article.

Migrate Public Folders to Exchange 2013 From Previous Versions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150486(v=exchg.150).aspx

Please check if there is any error in application log.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by cara chen Monday, April 15, 2013 2:21 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

Yes the whole process was running according to technet documentation.

This is where I ran in to the problem.

Gil Gross | Project Manager & Technical Consultant | G-Net Network Solutions | www.g-net.co.il

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Hello,

I suggest you run get-publicfolderdatabase on exchange 2010 to check the public folder datbase.

Please describe your environment detailed.

If there is any error in application log, please post the event source and event id.

Cara Chen

Monday, April 15, 2013 6:34 AM
  • get-publicfolderdatabase returns my public folder database.

just get cmdlet failed error in the event log when running the shell command.

and the error in shell is:

Couldn't connect to the source mailbox.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-PublicFolderMigrationRequest], RemoteTransientException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 960CE187,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewPublicFolderMigrationRequest
        + PSComputerName        : exch2013.domain.com

Monday, April 15, 2013 7:01 AM
  • Does anyone prehaps have Public Folder migration guide other than the technet supplied by microsoft?

Maybe I am missing something?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Hello,

At present, we have only some technet articles.

I suggest you contact microsoft support .

Besides, please make sure you have the permission " Organization Management".

Do you check application log?

Cara Chen

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Yes I Checked the application log and there are no errors.

and I am an organization manager.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Hello,

Please check if Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication service is started.

Please verify whether you configure CAS NLB.

Possiblely you contact microsoft support to solve your issue as soon as possible.

Cara Chen

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Ok. Still stuck but one question.

During the process I create 2 CSV Files.

1. Publicfolderstatistics

2. PublicFolderToMailboxMapGenerator

When running the New-PublicFolderMigrationRequest  wich CSV am i meant to refrence? I am refrencing the PublicFolderToMailboxMapGenerator.

This is the content of the csv file:

"FolderPath","TargetMailbox"
    "\","mailbox1"

I created a public folder named mailbox1 on the exch 2013 server using the -holdformigration.

• Edited by Gil Gross Friday, April 19, 2013 12:49 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hello,

Per my known, I consider you are right.

Besides, you create the name of the public folder mailboxes that must match the name of the TargetMailbox in the mapping file.

Cara Chen

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem of migrating my public folder from Exchange 2007 SP3 to exchange 2013. After reading the technet's guide more carefully, I tried to install Update Rollup 10 for Exchange 2007 server and then New-PublicFolderMigrationRequest command worked fine. 

Hence, I think there are some updates required for Exchange 2010 SP3 as well.

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:09 AM
  • I had the same problem (Couldn't connect to the source mailbox), when began Public folders migration from Exchange 2007 SP3 RU10 to Exchange 2013 CU1.

I tried Test-MAPIConnectivity -server **** | fl  , and get error:

No mailboxes were found on the server "****" to perform the operation.

The reason was, that old Exchange 2007 server had only one Public Folders database and no Mailbox databases. I create empty mailbox database on it, after AD replication across the forest command new-publicfoldermigrationrequest worked well.

• Marked as answer by Gil Gross Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:18 AM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Bingo!

That did the trick.

Thanks.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Gil...which part did the trick the creation of empty mailbox database or the SP3 RU10 update?
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hi, I was using Exchange 2010 not 2007 so no RU10....

the problm was not the mailbox, it was the databsae.

I had deleted the users database after migrating all users and this affected Public folder mgration. creating an empty database fixed the issue.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Creating the empty database for my Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 migration worked for me.

Tom Drought

• Edited by StrongmanTech Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:14 PM wrong person
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:14 PM
  • This worked for me. I suggest keeping on small Mailbox DB and a temp account on the old server.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thank you for sharing!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:50 PM