Unable to open attachment RRS feed

• Question

•  

Sorry not sure where this should go.

I am running Windows Vista

I received email in my windows mail and I am trying to open the attachment.

Pop up Do you want to open this file? OPEN

Pop up :

this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the set associations control panel.

I opened control panel but can not find set associations link.

I tried Right click, but all I get is OPEN, there is no OPEN WITH

What do i do?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:56 AM

Answers

• What is the three letter extension of the attachment?  Is it ppt., doc., xls., or some other ?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Besides, use following steps outlined:

1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
    Note The next steps document Control Panel in Classic View. To access this view, click Switch to Classic View .
    2. Double-click Default Programs , and then click the Associate File Type or Protocol with a Program option.
    3. In the File Types list, search for the file type and the extension of the file that you want to open. If it exists, select the file type.
    4. Click Change Program .
    Select the program, if it is in the list.
    If the program is not in the list, click Browse , and then choose the file path for the program.
    5. Click OK , and then close the remaining windows.

HTH.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:53 AM
  • This problem occurs when an attachment requires a specific program and you do not have that program installed on your computer. For example, if you receive an e-mail with an attached .xls file, you must have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer to open the attachment.

Things to try:

1.    Ask the sender to convert the file or save the file in a format that one of your programs can open.

2.    Install the program that is required to open the attachment

3.    To associate a file format in Microsoft Windows 

1).

Right-click Start and then click Explore .

2).

Click Tools , and then click Folder Options .

3).

In the Folder Options dialog box, open the File Types tab.

4).

In the File Types list, search for the file type and extension of the file you want to open.

If it exists, select the file type. In the lower half of the dialog box, you see the program associated with that file type. If you need to change the association, click Change .

If the file type does not exist, click Add . In the new window, enter the file type and the program you want to associate with the file.

5).

Click Apply and then click OK to save your changes.

HTH.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I have both microsoft word and excel installed on my laptop, from window mail I can open word files but not excel file. However, if I run window mail as administrator, then I can open even excel file from window mail. So there is problem or something blocking only .xls files in window mail which shows .xls file format unrecognised. It allows to save the file, when saved to destop or any other location, it opens well.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:18 AM

All replies

• What is the three letter extension of the attachment?  Is it ppt., doc., xls., or some other ?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Besides, use following steps outlined:

1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
    Note The next steps document Control Panel in Classic View. To access this view, click Switch to Classic View .
    2. Double-click Default Programs , and then click the Associate File Type or Protocol with a Program option.
    3. In the File Types list, search for the file type and the extension of the file that you want to open. If it exists, select the file type.
    4. Click Change Program .
    Select the program, if it is in the list.
    If the program is not in the list, click Browse , and then choose the file path for the program.
    5. Click OK , and then close the remaining windows.

HTH.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Hi Carey

Its a .doc file

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:43 AM
  • The attachment is .doc and this is not showing in the associate file type. Is there anything else I can do?

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:45 AM
  • This problem occurs when an attachment requires a specific program and you do not have that program installed on your computer. For example, if you receive an e-mail with an attached .xls file, you must have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer to open the attachment.

Things to try:

1.    Ask the sender to convert the file or save the file in a format that one of your programs can open.

2.    Install the program that is required to open the attachment

3.    To associate a file format in Microsoft Windows 

1).

Right-click Start and then click Explore .

2).

Click Tools , and then click Folder Options .

3).

In the Folder Options dialog box, open the File Types tab.

4).

In the File Types list, search for the file type and extension of the file you want to open.

If it exists, select the file type. In the lower half of the dialog box, you see the program associated with that file type. If you need to change the association, click Change .

If the file type does not exist, click Add . In the new window, enter the file type and the program you want to associate with the file.

5).

Click Apply and then click OK to save your changes.

HTH.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I have both microsoft word and excel installed on my laptop, from window mail I can open word files but not excel file. However, if I run window mail as administrator, then I can open even excel file from window mail. So there is problem or something blocking only .xls files in window mail which shows .xls file format unrecognised. It allows to save the file, when saved to destop or any other location, it opens well.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:18 AM