none
Importing External Contacts into Exchange 2010 where each contact has multiple addresses RRS feed

• Question

• So the problem I have run into, and I have searched everywhere without even remotely finding an answer is this: I have to import several mail contacts, which I can comfortably do with a script and have done many times. But now, I have to import several external mail contacts who have multiple addresses. I have been playing around with scripts and I can not seem to figure it out. Here is what I have so far: Import-csv december.csv | foreach-object {new-mailcontact -name $_.dname -firstname $_.fname -lastname $_.lname -alias $_.alias -externalemailaddress $_.email1, _.email2, _.email3, _.email4 -OrganizationalUnit "WRA Parents"} It hangs at the email addresses every time. It isnt an issue with the CSV file, it is something with how I am listing the multiple addresses and I can't figure it out.

Any input anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, December 16, 2011 9:21 PM

Answers

• On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:21:55 +0000, Carl Schaible wrote:

>
    >
    >So the problem I have run into, and I have searched everywhere without even remotely finding an answer is this: I have to import several mail contacts, which I can comfortably do with a script and have done many times. But now, I have to import several external mail contacts who have multiple addresses. I have been playing around with scripts and I can not seem to figure it out. Here is what I have so far: Import-csv december.csv | foreach-object {new-mailcontact -name $_.dname -firstname $_.fname -lastname $_.lname -alias $_.alias -externalemailaddress $_.email1, _.email2, _.email3, _.email4 -OrganizationalUnit "WRA Parents"} It hangs at the email addresses every time. It isnt an issue with the CSV file, it is something with how I am listing the multiple addresses and I can't figure it out.
    >
    >Any input anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Each contact can have one, and only one, externalemailaddress.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, December 23, 2011 1:51 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Agree with Rich. "Each mail contact has an external e-mail address. All messages sent to the mail contact are routed to this external e-mail address."

Understanding Recipients

By the way, you can just run a simple cmdlet to get the same result.

New-MailContact contact1 -ExternalEmailAddress contact1@a.com,contact1@b.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:42 AM

All replies

• On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:21:55 +0000, Carl Schaible wrote:

>
    >
    >So the problem I have run into, and I have searched everywhere without even remotely finding an answer is this: I have to import several mail contacts, which I can comfortably do with a script and have done many times. But now, I have to import several external mail contacts who have multiple addresses. I have been playing around with scripts and I can not seem to figure it out. Here is what I have so far: Import-csv december.csv | foreach-object {new-mailcontact -name $_.dname -firstname $_.fname -lastname $_.lname -alias $_.alias -externalemailaddress $_.email1, _.email2, _.email3, _.email4 -OrganizationalUnit "WRA Parents"} It hangs at the email addresses every time. It isnt an issue with the CSV file, it is something with how I am listing the multiple addresses and I can't figure it out.
    >
    >Any input anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Each contact can have one, and only one, externalemailaddress.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Agree with Rich. "Each mail contact has an external e-mail address. All messages sent to the mail contact are routed to this external e-mail address."

Understanding Recipients

By the way, you can just run a simple cmdlet to get the same result.

New-MailContact contact1 -ExternalEmailAddress contact1@a.com,contact1@b.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hi Carl,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:49 AM