IMAP read status sync in Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with the read status in Outlook on multiple devices.

When I receive a mail and I mark it as read, the status is send to all other devices and the mail is shown as read.

When I mark a mail as unread, the mail is still marked as read on all devices. How can I sync the read status? 

Thank you.

Friday, March 9, 2018 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Machs,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Before going further, could you please be a bit more explicit about the version information of all the devices then we can do more analysis on the issue?

I tried to test using an IMAP account on two machines, Outlook 2016 (Version 1802, Build 9029.2167) and Outlook 2013 (15.0.4420.1017), both read and unread status can sync properly.

Please have a check in web mail to see if the unread status can be synced after clicking the Mark as unread option. If it works fine in web mail, please click Send & Receive on other devices and check the result. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

we use Windows 10 (V1709 / Build 16299.192) and Outlook 2016 (Build 16.0.9029.2106 32-Bit).

When I click Mark as Unread in the webmailer or Outlook and click Send & Receive nothing happens on the other devices. Thunderbird updates the status instant.

I reinstalled Outlook on a device and it does not update the read status. Only the first mark as unread is registered after receiving a mail.

Monday, March 12, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hi Machs,

Do you mean all the devices mentioned in your thread are all machines running Outlook 2016 (Build 16.0.9029.2106 32-Bit)?
    Is this a recently occurred issue after a certain update?

To help narrow down the issue, please try testing by running Outlook in safe mode (Press Win+R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see if there will be any improvement.

It is also suggested to try temporarily turning off the antivirus software if there is and check the result.  

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Yes, all devices are running this version, but the problem occured in previous version too (6 months). Outlook in safe mode does not sync the read status and no anti virus is running.

I tested the Windows Mail program and everything works in this program, so I do not think this is a server problem.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hi Machs,

What's the type of your email account, Exchange, IMAP or POP? 
    Does this issue affect all accounts which are added in multiple devices?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:32 AM
  • The mail accounts are IMAP. It affects all accounts from different mail providers.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:46 AM
  • all devices are running this version, but the problem occured in previous version too (6 months). 

Do you mean the issue started from about 6 months ago?
    If possible, could you please try testing on an older version of Outlook to see if the issue persists? 

I have been testing on the issue and also seen the sync issue in Outlook 2016. But it's difficult to troubleshoot further.  

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Friday, March 16, 2018 10:00 AM
  • I think it started 6 months ago.

I tested an older version (Build 16.0.4266.1003) and everything works.

Friday, March 16, 2018 10:46 AM
  • Hi Machs,

I tested further and noticed the similar issue in my Outlook 2016 (Version 1803, Build 9126.2083). But there is no issue in versions below:

No issue:
    Outlook 2016, Click-to-run, Version 1705, Build 8201.2075, released in June 7, 2017
    Outlook 2016, MSI, 16.0.4639.1000
    Outlook 2013, MSI, 15.0.4420.1017

Currently I cannot find any documentation stating if this is a known issue but I have tried to submit this using our internal way. In the meantime, it is also encouraged that you can send this feedback via the Feedback option in Outlook User interface. I'll keep track on this problem and keep you posted once I receive any update. Thanks for your understanding and patience. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:57 AM