How to change a Word Style and save the change? RRS feed

• Question

• I googled this and tried one idea which was to highlight the text, change the attributes and then somehow make the style like the text. When I try this I highlight the heading, right click, choose 'reduce indent' and then the style quickly changes from Heading 3 to Heading 2. NOT what I want. I need to reduce the indent of Heading 3. I'm using Word 2010.

Just to make this tricky, I think the styles in the template this doc is based on may be protected and I have no idea how to unprotect them.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:27 PM

Answers

• Click in a Heading 3 paragraph. Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Click the Modify button. In the dialog box, click Format, Paragraph. Specify the desired indentation. Click OK. Select "New documents based on this template" and then click OK.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, January 27, 2014 6:04 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:35 AM
  • How to change a built-in word style, please refer to the link below:
    http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/modifyastyle.html
    After modify it, just tick the option: 'New documents based on this template' to save the change.

If you just want to reduce the indent.

On Home tab, Paragraph section, click on little arrow in bottom right corner.
    Under Spacing, make sure that both "Before" and "After" are 0 pt.
    At bottom, click on Set As Default.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, January 27, 2014 6:05 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:41 AM

All replies

• Click in a Heading 3 paragraph. Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Click the Modify button. In the dialog box, click Format, Paragraph. Specify the desired indentation. Click OK. Select "New documents based on this template" and then click OK.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, January 27, 2014 6:04 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:35 AM
  • How to change a built-in word style, please refer to the link below:
    http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/modifyastyle.html
    After modify it, just tick the option: 'New documents based on this template' to save the change.

If you just want to reduce the indent.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, January 27, 2014 6:05 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 9:41 AM
  • If you just want to reduce the indent.

Note that clicking the Set as Default button in the Paragraph dialog box will modify the Normal style. The original poster was asking about a specific heading style.

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:50 AM