Deployment Blue Screens RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to deploy a Windows 7 image to a Dell Optiplex 9010. The install process completes, but on the first reboot, results in a blue screen.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFF0000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF880035AF7E8, 0xFFFFF880035AF040)

No driver files is specified in the blue screen message, which disappears almost immediately as it is displayed. I booted into a Linux disk to try and see if there were minidump files on the hard drive but there weren't any. The BDD.log files says to reference a log file in X:\Windows, but I can't find that drive anywhere. I take it that drive is used while MDT is running. Since the blue screen happens after the first reboot, neither MDT nor Windows is running at that point. I don't know how else to access X:\. I took a wild guess that it was the video driver that was causing the problem and removed that from the driver store and updated/redeployed the image only to have the same results. I have the latest drivers from Dell's web-site (4/14/15). I am not sure what else I can try. Please help?

Thanks

Jason

Monday, April 20, 2015 1:57 PM

All replies

• Chances are its an issue with a driver being installed.  Are you using the Enterprise CAB Dell provides?

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-command-deploy-driver-packs-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Monday, April 20, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Any idea on how I can find out which driver it is? I am using the deployment CABs from the very site you suggested. I downloaded a fresh copy for the 9010 today, still no luck. I've tried deleting all drivers, importing every one but the video drivers, update the deployment share, recreate the PE images, with no luck. Now, I am trying the same, but skipping the USB drivers.

Jason

Monday, April 20, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Try not using the cabs.  If you don't bugcheck with no additional drivers then add back only the drivers required to get rid of missing drivers in device manager.  The Dell cabs are a good start but, they aren't perfect and can often cause issues like this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Monday, April 20, 2015 6:08 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 6:08 PM
  • I am trying now, with NO additional drivers. My CustomSettings.ini files is set to deliver drivers by hardware model. I've just taken the 9010 out of that rotation. It is a bit of a hack job, but I am unsure what else to do. The suggestion of going that way and adding back the drivers that are missing from device manager sounds like a good way to go. Thanks

Jason

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Just in... My test with no drivers didn't work. I'm still getting the blue screens. I have no idea how to fix this. I am deploying the image with the drivers that are in the OS. I can't remove those as they are baked into the image. Unless I really didn't remove all of the 9010 drivers when I deleted them from the MDT driver store. Anything else I can try? Is there a phone number I can call at Microsoft? Maybe paid support is the way to go here?

Jason

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Have you checked the BIOS for anything out of the ordinary? I know on some Dells I've had to go in when testing and change the SATA operation from RAID to AHCI before imaging will work.

-Nick O.

Monday, April 20, 2015 7:01 PM
  • I tried a completely different image all together. A more basic type with just Windows and Office, and it worked. Though, that doesn't help me very much, at least I know the problem is with the image and not MDT itself. I'll need to undo all of the changes I made to MDT and figure out how to get my image into a driver-less state. The image I need to apply is too big and too complex to just recreate.

Jason

• Edited by N74JW Monday, April 20, 2015 7:15 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 7:13 PM
  • BIOS operation set to AHCI. We have to switch them all to that from RAID for any imaging MDT or Ghost, to work.

Jason

Monday, April 20, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Hmm... Do you have another same model machine to test on?  I did a search for dell 9010 7e and this is what I came up with:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293697/EN

From what I gather it is an issue with the USB 3.0 driver.  Although if there are no drivers being added you shouldn't see this.  Can you post you BDD.log to something like Onedrive?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Monday, April 20, 2015 7:47 PM
    • Edited by Ty Glander Monday, April 20, 2015 7:52 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 7:47 PM
  • I've deployed plenty of 9010 computers using the Dell CAB files. I think I had to remove the Ethernet drivers and replace them with updated versions, but that was a while back so the latest cab is probably fine.

I think a good question to start with is how are your drivers being injected? By that I mean are you using a Total control method http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management or are all your drivers being injected and then Windows has to figure out which ones to use?

I just noticed your comment about your image. I'd strongly recommend creating your image on a virtual machine. Over here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52aebe59-80c9-4aac-8911-5f737e848111/unattendxml-settings-contained-within-a-revised-image?forum=mdt#ba9a2270-8108-44d5-9d26-c6ebb8df2cc0  I have a picture of my task sequence to create a reference image. You can do it all in one fell swoop, create your image, make your changes then sysprep and capture.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:34 PM
  • I'll try to get the BDD.log file, but with the deployment sequence not completing successfully, I am not sure where to get it. As far as I know, those files are only written to the target computer's HDD after the deployment has completed. My deployment fails to complete. It would seem that some drivers are being injected, though I have no hardware tag specified for the machine type in ConfigSettings.ini. My guess is that MDT is looking at all of the drivers in the store and choosing from there. I have drivers for 990s and 9020s in there as well. The 990s image just fine, no trouble (yet). 

Jason

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:12 AM
  • I am not 100% sure how my drivers being injected at this point. I have CustomSettings.ini to query hardware type via WMI and supply the drivers based on that. The drivers are organized by hardware type in the driver store. That approach has worked for Dell OptiPlex 990s and a couple of Lenovo models, but has fallen short with the 9010. I am interested in making an image straight from a VM, but what I have to work with now wasn't made that way. Our image is really thick (68GB) and would take weeks to reconstruct. What I am using now was deployed to a 990 and sysprep/captured from there. Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:17 AM
  • Take a look at this as well http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:11 AM
  • I'm am liking the pages on how to build a Windows reference image from scratch. I'm not deploying Windows 8.1, but the same steps should apply to Windows 7. I am capturing a copy of the image I have to work with from VMware now. That'll take a while, a long while. Once that is done, I'll deploy that and see if it works.

Jason

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:03 PM
  • I tried a completely different image all together. A more basic type with just Windows and Office, and it worked. Though, that doesn't help me very much, at least I know the problem is with the image and not MDT itself. I'll need to undo all of the changes I made to MDT and figure out how to get my image into a driver-less state. The image I need to apply is too big and too complex to just recreate.

Jason

So... What this says to me is there is some driver in this captured image.  Try recapturing using a VM instead of physical hardware.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:46 PM
  • I was able to recapture from a VM instead of real hardware. While the image was loaded in the VMware, I went through Windows and removed every driver that did not come with it. There was many Intel programs installed, which probably had their own drivers along with it. After recapturing, a two day process, the deployed image worked on the 9010, and other hardware. Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Jason

Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:36 PM