APP-V Sequencer 4.6 SP1 SFT_MNT Alternate Drive letter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using the 4.6 SP1 sequencer. We use drive V:\ as the SFT_MNT because driver Q: is used throughput our organisation for document storage. We have many app-v apps and the are all working well. However, I have just hit our first application that makes reference to the Q:\ drive in its configuration. I have noticed that the APP-V sequencer, even though it was installed and is set to use drive V:\ still makes reference to drive Q:\ within the "Parse" items.

The sequencer is doing what it should and redirecting the applications Q:\ drive reference to %SFT_MNT%. Unfortunately I need it to refer to Q:\ drive correctly so that the paths are accurate and point to Q:\[SOMETHING][ and not V:\[SOMETHING].

1. Is there a way to change the sequencer to reflect V:\ drive (the drive that was chosen during setup)?
    2. If so, is there any harm in making the change, i.e. it will it cause any known sequencing problems in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan Sutton

NSutton

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Create a physical V: drive and use to that to create your sequence

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hi Nicke,

Thanks for the reply. My sequenceing (virtual) machine already has a physical V:\ drive which was created before installing the APP-V Sequencer. As you can see in the attached image, however, the sequencer still has a reference to Q:\ drive in the Parse items. The sequencer picks up any reference to V:\ or Q:\ as SFT_MNT.

NSutton

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:13 PM
  • hi Nicke,

I have just double checked this, and another sequencing machine to make sure the drives are physical. I have just noticed that the sequencer has created a substituted drive named V:\. They both, however, have still reference Q:\ in their Parse configurations.

I will try you suggestion and will remove the sequencer, create a real V:\ drive and will re-install to see if that resolves it.

Thanks again.

NSutton

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

Unfortunately the sequencer has done the exact same thing even with a dedicated V:\ drive that exists before the sequencer is installed. The Parse items still reflects Q:\ and not V:\ for SFT_MNT.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

NSutton

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Hello,

Did you attempt to sequence the application to the V: drive and test it on a client?

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:12 AM
  • Hi Niche,

I will try the package again on the sequencer with the real V:\ drive.

On the machine that is using the substituted drive I can see in the VFR that the reference to the Q:\ drive has been substitude to %SFT_MNT%. The package, when started then transposes that to V:\ as expected. It is this symptom that I am trying to correct. We have many APP-V packages, this is the first one I have hit that makes reference to the Q:\ drive.

I will re-package and get back to you.

Thanks again,

NSutton

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

I have just re-packaged and the same symptoms are occuring.

Here is the registry for the application. The LocalDirectory value makes reference to the Q:\drive which is being converted by the sequencer as %SFTMNT% even though (in the next image) the sequencer should be using V:\ driver as %SFT_MNT%. If I move away from Q:\ drive to anything else it is OK. For some reason the sequencer is holding on to Q:\ drive. I also packaged this using 4.6 SP2 just to see if that changed the behaviour.

NSutton

Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hello,

%SFT_MNT% is resolved on the client - it will resolve to whatever the _client_ considers the drive to be. I am guessing you are focusing on something that is not relevant. It could be a hard-coded path in a file (most like), but not really sure howto proceed as you focus on what the sequencer says as opposed to how it executes on the client

• Edited by znack Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:46 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

Thanks for your help.

The client is responding in the same way the sequencer is. The client, after execution of the package, reads the registry value above and tranposes the %SFT_MNT% variable to V:\. So the user is prompted to file the path V:\[SOMETHING] which doesn't exist becuase the real path is Q:\[SOMETHING]. If the sequencer did not detect Q:\ drive as %SFT_MNT% then it would be recorded as Q:\[SOMETHING] in the virtual registry and would appear as Q:\[SOMETHING] on the client.

In a nutshell, the sequencer and the client are do exactly what they should be. The real question is why is the sequencer still mapping Q:\ to %SFT_MNT%?

Cheers,

NSutton

Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Hello,

Do you know which registry key is effected?

Friday, March 1, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Hi Nicke,

The registry key affected by the Q:\ drive reference is in the top image in my last post. The WinSCP (SCP/FTP/SSH client) package has a registry hive to store user-defined sessions. The individual sessions each have their own sub-hives. Each session an have a local directory and remote directory defined. The local directory, in my case for a couple of the sessions points to a network drive (drive Q:\). Because the sequencer is still transposing Q:\ as %SFT_MNT% you end up with what is shown in the image above. If I use and alternate drive letter inside the application, .e.g drive N:\ the sequencer maps the drive correctly.

I also have access to the full AdminStudio suite including the virtualisation addin which can also sequence packages. I am going to run WinSCP through it as well. I have a feeling it will work using Q:\ drive inside the application. Our preference, as far as APP-V applications is to use the Microsoft sequencer first then AdminStudio due to training and licenses.

Any suggestions would still be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

NSutton

Monday, March 4, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Usually the Sequencer 'generalizes' the virtual drive letter in the registry quite well to SFT_MNT (in fact there was one Version that did not, I think 4.6 SP1), but it does not convert references in files. Might it be that WinSCP stores some of ist configuration in text-based config files?

Note that some apps write/copy their current configuration while opening 'to somewhere' - therefor you should make sure that you 'repair' the package on the App-v Client before testing an upgraded Version. This is not an issue if you sequence the package from scratch. (Well, it might be that the app stores Infos in like %localappdata%, hence outside of the package).

Did you try a 'VFS install'? (During Sequencing, specify V:\<packagename> as Primary Virtual Application Directory, but tell the installer of WinSCP to install to C:\Program Files\WinSCP [or better: C:\vApps\<Packagename>]). This way, at least WinSCP does not create any (hidden) references to any virtual drive and the App-V Client should handle all VFS redirections nicely.

Falko

Monday, March 4, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Hello,

So on a client, what is the value of that registry key within the virtual environment - when V: is set?

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Hi kirk_tn,

The WinSCP client is only storing the configuration in the registry. I can confirm that for sure. There is no option to change that to text files. you can export and import session information to and from files but that information is then stored by WinSCP in the HKCU sessions registry hives. We are trying to send WinSCP out with the sessions pre-configured for users. If we do not do this in the package we are going to need to do it using another script, a pre-exectue script or another package from SCCM which is how we delivered traditional and APP-V packages.

The application installation so far, is only a VFS install. I always prefer to do a VFS install (evene though it is not technically needed), unless for some reason I can't. I can try a non VFS install to see if that makes a difference.

To answer Nicke's question ...

1. When you open and edit the package after the sequencing and view the virtual registry (image 1) the Q:\ drive reference in the registry has been transposed to %SFT_MNT%
    2. When you deploy the software to the client the registry shows V:\[SOMETHING]

When the user opens the WinSCP sessions to view it's properties, or starts the session and attempts to access the Q:\ drive the App-V client opens the V:\[SOMETHING] path.

Cheers,

NSutton

Monday, March 4, 2013 11:47 PM
  • Hello,

It seems that the reference to the Q:-drive is perhaps not in the registry key, but in something else? I would guess a file. Any chance there could possible be such a file in the package?

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

The reference to Q:\ is definitely in the registry. My sequencing guide is as follows:

Prerequisites:

1) Obtain the WinSCP 5.1.3 Installation package.
    2) Obtain a predefined WinSCP sessions registry import file
    2a) On a pre-configured desktop extract the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Martin Prikryl registry hive
    2b) Modify the registry export file and remove all sub hives except for these:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Configuration\CDCache
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Sessions
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\SshHostKeys
    2c) Look inside each of the above registry hives and remove references to individual people to
        ensure the App-V package does not contain references to individuals

Sequencing:

1) Create new package
    2) Standard Application
    3) Select a typical install
    4) Package Name = "WinSCP 5.1.3", Directory = "V:\WinSCP.513"
    5) Move through the installation wizard:
     5a) OK to accept language
     5b) Next
     5c) Accept + Next
     5d) Custom + Next
     5e) Change the path to the V:\ drive + Next
     5f) Disable "Drag and drop shell extension
     5g) Next
     5h) Next
     5i) Disable "Enable automatic check for application updates"
     5j) Disable "Create a desktop icon"
     5k) Disable "Add upload shortcut to Explorere 'Send to' context menu
     5l) Next
     5m) Next
     5n) Disable ALL Google Chrome options
     5o) Next
     5o) Install
    6) Once installed:
     6a) Import the registry export file
     6b) Start WinSCP again to confirm the sessions have been imported
     6c) Close WinSCP
    7) Mark the installation as complete
    8) Customise the installation
    9) Edit the shortcuts
     9a) Do not create a shortcut for the Puttygen
     9b) Do not create a shortcut for the Pageant
    10) Set the target O/S to Windows 7 (32bit + 64bit) and Windows 2008 Terminal Services R2 64-bit
    11) Compress and save the package

Editing:
    1) Edit the package
    2) Modify the registry
    3a) Mark the following keys as "Merge with Local" (This is ensure the WinSCP package only overrides certain folders)
     3a) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl
     3b) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2
     3c) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Configuration
     3d) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Configuration\CDCache
     3e) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Sessions
     3f) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Sessions\Default%20Settings
     3g) REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\SshHostKeys

As you can see I import a pre-configured registry hive.

The part of the reg file that is causing the problem is as follows:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Martin Prikryl\WinSCP 2\Sessions\Ordinary%20-%20NT%20-%20Coleman%20Print]
    "HostName"="X.X.X.X"
    "UserName"="something"
    "LocalDirectory"="Q:%5CBallotPaperImages"
    "RemoteDirectory"="/home/something"
    "Password"="something"

WinSCP transposes backslashes itself when storing this information hence the %5 in the string. If I edit the package after sequencing and modify the registry entry from %SFT_MNT% to T:\BallotPaperImages the T:\ sticks. If I edit the value and explicitly put Q:\BallotPaperImages it automatically chanegs back to %SFT_MNT%\BallotPaperImages.

I have re-sequenced and avoided the VFS installation. This made no difference.

NSutton

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hello,

Any reason you can not define the above registry key via the OSD-file?

See this for reference;

http://www.tmurgent.com/osd_illustrated.aspx

• Marked as answer by Nathan Sutton Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:34 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

I didn't know you could do that. I was going to look at a POST launch script to import the reg file. The REGISTRY section of the OSD could be a bit teadious if you had a lot of values to change. It states that the OSD registry vlaues will override the SFT values so I assume that I could still import the registry as part of the sequence to get the bulk of the values in and then override just the registry value with the Q:\ drive reference?

I will give it a shot.

Thanks,

NSutton

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi Nicke,

Your suggestion worked. I imported the registry file as per normal and then also defined the values with Q:\ drive references in the OSD file. The end result allowed the OSD to override the SFT versions with the end result that Q:\[SOMETHING] is set in the virtual registry as Q:\ and not V:\[SOMETHING].

Thanks for your help.

NSutton

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:37 AM