none
Exchange 2013 Edge Transport recipient filter discard rule?

Question

• Good afternoon, all!

I had management ask if we could set up recipient filtering to silently discard mail that was sent to a non-existent user.  I've looked to see if that's possible and haven't found where that could be changed.

Is this possible to do in the Edge Transport servers?

Thanks to all for looking!

gregg

Friday, October 16, 2015 7:49 PM

Answers

• Good afternoon, all!

I had management ask if we could set up recipient filtering to silently discard mail that was sent to a non-existent user.  I've looked to see if that's possible and haven't found where that could be changed.

gregg

A couple of things:

Recipient filtering with Edge is done pretty easily once the sync is setup:

Set-RecipientFilterConfig -RecipientValidationEnabled $true

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123891(v=exchg.150).aspx

Note this doesnt silently drop the message, it will simply reject it and it will be up to the sending server to generate the NDR. That is what you really want.

You typically do not want to drop a message unless it has malware or trips a content filtering rule etc...

Otherwise, how will legitimate senders know they fat-fingered a message to a user in your org?

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xuModerator Monday, November 9, 2015 1:59 AM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:23 AM

All replies

• Hello gregg,

This filtering can be done in Transport Rule. please follow the below article

http://www.techrid.com/exchange-server-2010/mailflow/creating-transport-rule-in-exchange-server-2007-with-specific-conditions/

Regards,

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts @ Techrid.com

Friday, October 16, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Good afternoon, all!

gregg

A couple of things:

Recipient filtering with Edge is done pretty easily once the sync is setup:

Set-RecipientFilterConfig -RecipientValidationEnabled $true

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123891(v=exchg.150).aspx

Note this doesnt silently drop the message, it will simply reject it and it will be up to the sending server to generate the NDR. That is what you really want.

You typically do not want to drop a message unless it has malware or trips a content filtering rule etc...

Otherwise, how will legitimate senders know they fat-fingered a message to a user in your org?

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by jim-xuModerator Monday, November 9, 2015 1:59 AM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 1:23 AM