My keyboard and Windows Media Player do not work. RRS feed

• Question

• After I did the windows update for Vista sp1 I cannot use my keyboard and also wmplayer would not work.I am typing this with the mouse on the ..On-Screen Keyboard.Thank's.....Please hel

Monday, January 26, 2009 7:22 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I know that the keyboard and Windows Media Player cannot work properly after updating.

By the way, may i know if it give some error message when you open Windows Media Player?

Based on my research, I will suggest the following:

For the keyboard issue:

1.    Please try to unplug and plug the keyboard to see if it works.

2.    Check the device driver

===============

1) Click Start, right click Computer and choose Properties.

2) Click Device Manager.

3) Navigate to your keyboard.

4) Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”, click OK and reboot the computer.

5) After the computer started, please check if it works. If not, please go to Device Manager and right-click on the keyboard and choose “Update the driver software”.

6) Please choose Properties of the keyboard and go to the Driver tab, if the “Roll Back Driver” is clickable, please click it to see if it helps.

For Windows Media Player issue:

1.    Re-register Windows Media Player components

==============================

1)    Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2)    At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

for %a in (%systemroot%\system32\wm*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %a

After the command finishes, please check if the Windows Media Player works again.

If everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:30 AM