none
Delete data from removed server RRS feed

• Question

• I have removed a server from DPM and I swear I checked the box to delete the data.  It definitely did not as I'm now out of space.  How can I get that data cleared out and free up room?

I know the pruneshadowcopies.ps1 won't help here as these are not expired recovery points, but a whole protection group that is now deleted in DPM, but the free space did not come with it..........

I pulled this from another thread, but the .ps1 won't run as it is not digitally signed.

You can download the shrink-diskpart.zip file from the following location.  This may be updated at a later time and is supplied as-is.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=885774776d4f197a&resid=885774776D4F197A!120

It has three modes of operation and will prompt to select one during execution.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes:

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:24 PM

All replies

• Go to the Protection tab of the DPM console. Below all the protection groups, there should be a section called "Inactive protection for previously protected data".  You should see the server/drive there.  Right click on it and select "Remove inactive protection".
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Rod,

I know that part, but it is already gone from there.  There is no reference to it in DPM at all anymore.  The agent has even been removed from the management tab.

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:58 PM
  • try to install the agent one more time. See if you will find any data in the "Inactive protection for previously protected data". 

After you find the data then you will be able to delete it.

_________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this helpful please mark it as an "Answer"

ITLAAL

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:28 PM
  • I added it back with an agent, but it didn't do any good.  I'm guessing there has to be a way through the DPM powershell to find the recovery points tied to this storage group and delete them out no??  I really don't want to blow away the entire backups and start from scratch.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:11 PM
  • have you tried to remove the agent manually from the DPM server?

http://laithalmashta.blogspot.se/2011/09/cannot-remove-dpm-2010-agent-from-dpm.html#!/2011/09/cannot-remove-dpm-2010-agent-from-dpm.html

Check if you can see the agent their. It will fail if you agent still have data connected to it. That way we know that if there are data or not.

If you found this helpful please mark it as an "Answer"

• Edited by Laith_IT Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:39 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:37 AM
  • When I removed it the first time it failed and then asked if I just wanted to remove it from the database which I said yes to.  The server is no longer there, but no free space ever showed back up so I know it didn't delete it.
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:59 PM
  • What was the retention time for the disk backups on that server?

Saturday, August 11, 2012 12:03 PM
  • It would have been roughly a week.  It has been well over a week since that server was removed.
    Monday, August 13, 2012 3:50 PM