none
Help Creating Project Burndown report RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a project burndown report and I'm not totally sure how to go about it. I've got Remaning Work for each project and different departments within each project. My data basically has 10 rows for each project - one for the amount of work for each department.

So I want to use a stacked area chart that will stack the departments. The far left will have the total amount of remaining work and the work will drop off as the weeks go on.

Any help with how to go about this would be great.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi jshinnenkamp,

Thanks for your post.

Per your description, I know that you want to create chart report based on related data information. However, what is your sample data is like? Could you please make a more detailed description with some sample data to support your requirement?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Are you talking about the TFS = "Team Foundation Server" reporting (Burndown and Burn Rate Report)? Then you may better ask in a TFS (DevOps) Forum, then should know the database design.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:46 AM
  • This is some data for example. The far left of the chart will be the highest point of the graph (stacked by area). Then as the weeks go by the hours that are in the past will no longer show up, resulting in the graph to trend down. So for the week of 1/14, all 2430 hours will show, then for 1/21 the 40 hours from 1/14 will be past so the graph will decrease.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:29 PM
  • What part from your plan you have difficulty to implement?
    PowerBI front-end is more than capable to show stacked graph from dynamically filtered dataset
    (based on current date expression , or dynamic parameter, or additional query, etc.)

Stacked chart does allow control sorting order (Asc/Desc) on axis (you might need to switch it to "categorical" instead of continuous if your X axis labels are numeric)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-change-sort

P.S. As for SSAS side (if you prefer live browsing instead of import) - measure can have
    additional logic in order to filter resultset (switch null and value, based on current date)
    So really depends on what side you you prefer implement desired functionality.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:05 PM