Hardware Drivers causing windows to slow down - you won't believe what! RRS feed

• Question

• USBHUB.sys - Microsoft Corporation

MSISCSI.sys - Microsoft Corporation

FLPYDISK.sys - Microsoft Corporation

according to Performance Ratings and tools.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:48 PM

Answers

• It's my understanding that in this beta build, the performance assessment tools are looking for anything that adds time to the startup sequence or is running without being used frequently. At least you know we aren't hiding our own stuff. :)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:39 PM

All replies

• It's my understanding that in this beta build, the performance assessment tools are looking for anything that adds time to the startup sequence or is running without being used frequently. At least you know we aren't hiding our own stuff. :)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:39 PM
  • Yeah, valid point :P How about at least improving this drivers? is it possible?
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:26 PM
  • The irony here is that I also have those drivers loaded on my Vista system and I don't get any errors in the Performance Rating tool for them. I wonder if there are applications running that poll those interfaces frequently, but it is hard to say.

One of the things about a beta release of an operating system is that it runs more debugging code, has every possible option included, etc. so we can test everything during the beta period. It is possible that those interfaces are being used frequently and therefore trigger something in the performance metric.

Similarly humorous, I get warnings in my event log that svchost.exe is causing Windows to start slowly. The question here is, "what is the definition of slowly?" If svchost.exe needs to launch a number of tasks (as it does), it may be judged by a metric that isn't really valid for my circumstances. These are the kinds of things that will be worked out as the performance rating tool itself moves toward release candidate.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:51 PM