none
System state backups with Data Protection Manager 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for information on using Data Protection Manager for server system state backups:

1) Is there a best practice for a server system state protection group?

2) Does using DPM for system state backups provide any avdantages over using the server backup MMC from the protected server?

3) Am I correct in thinking that in order to recover a server using a system state backup that you will need to have at least a basic OS installed, on the the server being used for the recovery, and IP configured in order for the recovery wizard to know where to perform the restore.

4) How practicle is it to perform a bare metal recovery on an Exchange server if the mailboxes are going to be backed up as part of the bare metal recovery.  Would it make more sence to create a system state backup and and Exchange protection group and perform a 2 step recovery process in order to keep the disk space usage more efficient?

Thank you,

kn
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

here are my answers about your concerns :

1/ Is there a best practice for a server system state protection group?

I'd say that system state is stable data. That means that it won't be changed a lot during a week or two. I'd advise to backup system state/bare metal every 1 week and keep it at least for 15 days(to have at least 2 copies every time).

2/ Does using DPM for system state backups provide any avdantages over using the server backup MMC from the protected server?

The only advantage i see using DPM to backup server instead of the Windows Server Backup MMC is that you can remotely change the parameters of the backup and set a global politic for every server. That will prevent you having too many maintenance operations in case of process changes.

3/ Am I correct in thinking that in order to recover a server using a system state backup that you will need to have at least a basic OS installed, on the the server being used for the recovery, and IP configured in order for the recovery wizard to know where to perform the restore.

I'm might be wrong as System State is not my principal skill in DPM but I'd say that you need the OS and the volumes created identically to what you had earlier.

The IP address configured might be good to retrieve the system state from the DPM Server but if you have the data on a media i'd say you don't need to have connectivity.

4/ How practicle is it to perform a bare metal recovery on an Exchange server if the mailboxes are going to be backed up as part of the bare metal recovery.  Would it make more sence to create a system state backup and and Exchange protection group and perform a 2 step recovery process in order to keep the disk space usage more efficient?

I would advice you to create BMR for your Exchange Server. That BMR will exclude the mailboxes files (best practice indicates that they need to be located on separate volume?) and protect Exchange Databases using a different protection group.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jeremy except q1 and q3 answers.

1. Almost the best way to lose a weekly AD, CA, DHCP or DNS changes is to backup SS on a weekly basis.

3. You don't need identical volumes to restore a SS backup. Only for a BMR.
    My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hello Keith,

Yes, you will have to have the OS installed for a system state restore.  Below are some video walkthroughs on both a System State and BMR restore on how the process is done.

System State:  http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bb0b5339-445b-4298-8705-350f13227b93
    BMR: http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bec0b1c6-d1fd-41f0-b4bc-df5791dfc68d

Thanks
    Shane

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

here are my answers about your concerns :

1/ Is there a best practice for a server system state protection group?

I'd say that system state is stable data. That means that it won't be changed a lot during a week or two. I'd advise to backup system state/bare metal every 1 week and keep it at least for 15 days(to have at least 2 copies every time).

2/ Does using DPM for system state backups provide any avdantages over using the server backup MMC from the protected server?

The only advantage i see using DPM to backup server instead of the Windows Server Backup MMC is that you can remotely change the parameters of the backup and set a global politic for every server. That will prevent you having too many maintenance operations in case of process changes.

3/ Am I correct in thinking that in order to recover a server using a system state backup that you will need to have at least a basic OS installed, on the the server being used for the recovery, and IP configured in order for the recovery wizard to know where to perform the restore.

I'm might be wrong as System State is not my principal skill in DPM but I'd say that you need the OS and the volumes created identically to what you had earlier.

The IP address configured might be good to retrieve the system state from the DPM Server but if you have the data on a media i'd say you don't need to have connectivity.

4/ How practicle is it to perform a bare metal recovery on an Exchange server if the mailboxes are going to be backed up as part of the bare metal recovery.  Would it make more sence to create a system state backup and and Exchange protection group and perform a 2 step recovery process in order to keep the disk space usage more efficient?

I would advice you to create BMR for your Exchange Server. That BMR will exclude the mailboxes files (best practice indicates that they need to be located on separate volume?) and protect Exchange Databases using a different protection group.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jeremy except q1 and q3 answers.

1. Almost the best way to lose a weekly AD, CA, DHCP or DNS changes is to backup SS on a weekly basis.

3. You don't need identical volumes to restore a SS backup. Only for a BMR.
    My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hello Keith,

Yes, you will have to have the OS installed for a system state restore.  Below are some video walkthroughs on both a System State and BMR restore on how the process is done.

System State:  http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bb0b5339-445b-4298-8705-350f13227b93
    BMR: http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bec0b1c6-d1fd-41f0-b4bc-df5791dfc68d

Thanks
    Shane

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:57 PM