none
System Center 2012R2 Storage Pool Deduplication? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find out if it is possible to deduplicate data on a System Center 2012R2 Storage Pool on Server 2012R2.  I am aware that DPM will back up deduplicated data in a deduplicated state, but this is about deduplicating data backed up from multiple sources.  Searching shows me that deduplicating System Center 2012 Storage Pools on Server 2012 was not supported, but the threads I found that showed this either had screenshots or quotes of the information instead of links to the documentation.  Is it possible/supported to deduplicate data within a System Center 2012R2 Storage Pool on Server 2012R2?
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, if you virtualize your DPM server, it is possible to enable deduplication of DPM storage pool disks.

Please see the following white paper:

Deduplicating DPM storage

We are working on a better solution long term.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:13 PM