Upgrade Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• We currently use Windows 10 Pro 1511, and we don't have access to the VLSC anymore to get the latest VL ISOs.

I have the downloads for the 1607 and 1703 ISOs using the download tool. I was told we can use them to upgrade what we have (1511) to the latest version since it includes Pro.

If I were to add it to MDT, what type of Task Sequence should I use to do an upgrade?

Should it be a standalone Standard Client Upgrade TS run from within OS, or can it be added into an existing TS (> Install > between Install OS and Next Phase) and after install it will upgrade and continue?

Thanks

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:05 PM

Answers

• First things first: you can‘t use ISOs downloaded using the tool because those ISOs come with an ESD install file instead of a WIM file. MDT (and ConfigMgr for that matter) support only WIM files. You would either need to decrypt the ESD file or find an official ISO which contains an install.wim file. As to your other question: use the upgrade task sequence to upgrade existing systems. For new installations use the latest version of Windows (1703), no need to install 1511 and then upgrade.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Proposed as answer by Anton Romanyuk Friday, September 8, 2017 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by nthnu Friday, September 8, 2017 4:05 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 3:58 PM

All replies

• First things first: you can‘t use ISOs downloaded using the tool because those ISOs come with an ESD install file instead of a WIM file. MDT (and ConfigMgr for that matter) support only WIM files. You would either need to decrypt the ESD file or find an official ISO which contains an install.wim file. As to your other question: use the upgrade task sequence to upgrade existing systems. For new installations use the latest version of Windows (1703), no need to install 1511 and then upgrade.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Proposed as answer by Anton Romanyuk Friday, September 8, 2017 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by nthnu Friday, September 8, 2017 4:05 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 3:58 PM
  • I'll poke them to see if we can get back on it so I can get the correct ISOs. Will do the upgrade like you mentioned.

Thanks Anton!

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:05 PM
  • One last question.

After installing the version we do have (1511), can we go back through and manually upgrade using the newer ISOs (from the download tool)? I think it'd be tedious to do that but it'd be the correct way, right?

Thanks!

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:11 PM
  • There are many ways to apply a feature update (including WSUS / Windows Update) - updating manully is also an option, although I would consider this to be the last ressort.

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:40 AM