none
Dns: name resolving inside my lan RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have this problematic, perhaps trivial:

When I'm in my LAN I would like to resolve the name EXCHANGE.dyndns.org with ip 192.168.2.1

While when I call other names with the same *.dyndns.org zone to resolve them normally (the result of a ping will be the public ip)

I tried creating a new direct(primary) search zone on the dns (win server 2012 r2), called dyndns.org, I put in a record A called Exchange and target set 192.168.2.1.

Ok this works and resolve correctly, but when I ping on another host in the dyndns.org domain (for example test.dyndns.org), the dns does not resolve the name.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this your only DNS server? Pointing to itself to resolve DNS query?

Have you tried clear the DNS server cache and also the DNS client cache? And try again.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:53 AM
  • I have 2 replicated domain controllers so 2 dns server.

the zone in inside in both

yes i tryed to clear cache

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

"I tried creating a new direct(primary) search zone on the dns (win server 2012 r2), called dyndns.org, I put in a record A called Exchange and target set 192.168.2.1.

Ok this works and resolve correctly, but when I ping on another host in the dyndns.org domain (for example test.dyndns.org), the dns does not resolve the name."

If i understand correctly, you have created a primary DNS zone on your DNS server with the zone name dyndns.org and added an A record EXCHANGE with IP 192.168.2.1. When you did a ping, you were able to resolve exchange.dyndns.org to IP 192.168.2.1. But when you tried to resolve other names like test.dyndns.org, you got no result.

In that case, you need to have those A records in your dns zone dyndns.org if you want to resolve them. You will not get it from the public one.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 1:53 AM
  • No... it will be impossible, there thousands of hostnames inside dyndns.org

i think i found a solution, create the zone with exchange.dyndns.org and inside that create a record A without name and set the target 192.168.2.1.

now works and resolve exchange > 192.168.2.1 when i try to ping to test.dyndns.org > 156.198.158.92

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Glad that you found the solution. You reminded me that I did the same thing too in the past.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:02 PM