none
Copy a Deployment Share to a new server RRS feed

• Question

• Our current MDT server needs to be rebuilt so to avoid any down time I have built another server to use while I redo the current one.  Everything I have read says all I have to do is a simple copy of the Deployment Shares (there are two I need to move) to the new server and do and update to get the share(s) working. (note: the servers are have different names) And in fact it does kind of work except that when you run the imaging process on the temp server it's running all the TS from the old server and picking up the drivers and OS from the old server. 

So further research shows that I need to change the server names Boot.ini and Config.ini files.  If I do it from the console snap in gives me an error. (I have tried changing it at the console and in the .ini files before hand)

So what step am I missing?  Do I need to close the deployment share before I copy it over to the new server?

Thanks for you assistance.

Kris Da San Martino

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 11:55 PM

All replies

• Has the boot image been regenerated on the new server where mdt is installed ?

If your boot image hasn't been updated it will still be using the deploy root for the old server.

when the boot image is regenerated it will copy the new bs.ini file to the boot image

Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:50 AM
  • Yes the boot image was regenerated but when running with that PE it still points back to the old server.

Some recent research that I have done seems to indicate that I need to change the boot.ini file to point at the new server before I open the deployment share on the new server.  I hope to try that today.

Kris Da San Martino

Thursday, November 10, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Inside the bootstrap.ini DeployRoot= will need to be set to the new share

When the boot image is regenerated Bootstrap.ini is copied to the scripts folder inside the boot image.

if it's still pointing at the old server the image is still using your old bootstrap

Also i take it the boot image was replaced on wds ?

Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Ok here is what I have done.

I copied over the existing shares to the new server.  I edited the DeployRoot = to the new server name in both shares.  Then from the management console I right clicked on Deployment Shares and select Open existing share.  I browsed to the share and checked the box to do an update if needed.  The share is rather large so it took some time to complete this task.  After that I regenerated the boot images by clicking on "Completely regenerate the boot images".   I used that PE in my USB drive to boot and image a computer but It still is looking and the wrong (old) server. 

I might add that the old and new server have different version and the old server and new server have the deployment shares to different volumes (C: D:).  

I'm still at a loss as to why this doesn't work

Kris Da San Martino

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Ah thats weird, if the bootstrap is set to the new server there's no way it should be connecting to the old one.

Unless updating the deployment share has reverted the file but i don't think that would be the case.

it would be worth launching cmd in the boot image and do a check on the content of the bootstrap @ X:\deploy\scripts and test the unc paths and share permissions ect.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:08 PM
  • Sync the old share to the new location using Linked Deployment Shares.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:54 PM
  • I tried that but the two servers are not running the same version of MD so it did not work

Kris Da San Martino

Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:58 PM
  • Downgrade the new server to the old server's version.  Sync then upgrade the new server if you want the new version.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, November 11, 2016 12:34 AM
  • Another option is you could delete the contents of the share on the new server (meaning the files in that folder) and then sync to the new share.  When that is complete do the upgrade of the share.

Friday, November 11, 2016 4:41 AM
  • Thanks for all you input. Because this is a temporary server I have decided to just build the server as normal and then Import the most used Operating systems.  

thanks

Kris Da San Martino

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:04 PM
  • Are you using a USB to boot your machines to your new MDT server?
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 8:48 PM
  • yes I am but I have also tried running the lightouch.vbs directly from the share.

Kris Da San Martino

Monday, November 21, 2016 3:15 PM