none
Master Projects with read-only sub-projects RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello.

My company is in the process of planning our implementation of Project Server.  Our projects are all very interdependent - Tasks in Project A are dependent on Tasks in Project B and C.  Each project has a different project manager. I do not want to give PM A the ability to change Project B, but he must have the ability to link task (via predecessor/successor relationship).

I assumed we would create a master project with all the dependent projects.   Using Project Professional the PM could select the dependent tasks and link them.  When we did this, the PM received many several errors when saving the master plan because they do not have write access some of the sub-projects.  While this process ultimately gave us the result we were looking for (the relationships were saved), the process is loaded with confusing errors and pop-ups.

We also tried including Project B and C as subprojects of Project A and got the same results.

What is the best way to structure this so the process is reasonably user friendly and simple? 

Is there a security setting would allow this?  Admittedly, security is still a bit a mystery to me

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:34 PM

Answers

• Either give PM A the ability edit Project B or have some central authority (PMO, etc) manage the creation of all the cross project links.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:49 PM

All replies

• Either give PM A the ability edit Project B or have some central authority (PMO, etc) manage the creation of all the cross project links.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi Craig-

Agreeing to Brian's reply, I would say, you can have a centralized PMO team who will have access to almost all the projects(We work in this way with our customer). you can have one more way to give permission on the specific projects.

Otherwise, you will not able able to allow PM(s) to manage inter Project links.

Dev EPM Consultant

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:50 AM