Can't right-click on desktop shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Please help...When I right click on standard desktop shortcuts my computer momentarily freezes and I recieve the dreaded messages windows explorer is not responding, followed by windows is attempting to restart explorer. Pardon me if this is not a word for word translation but I don't remember the exact phrasing and I am sure anyone with vista will know what I'm talking about. The starnge thing is that this only effects standard shortcuts and not system icons like my computer, my user folder my recycle bin, and even my Steam icon! I noticed this when I attempted to right click on an icon to delete it. I don't know when this started but I recently had to do a factory restore and as I am a gamer I have installed several games since said restore, any help woulfd be greatly appreciated. I want my desktop back the way it should be...
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi

Is this what you are seeing?

Error message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" when you right-click a folder.

If so, the usual cause for this is a corrupt or misconfigured Context Menu Handler.

See the following website for the fix.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

Is this what you are seeing?

Error message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" when you right-click a folder.

If so, the usual cause for this is a corrupt or misconfigured Context Menu Handler.

See the following website for the fix.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Hi

Yes that was exactly what I was doing and your post was so helpful that the situation is resolved already, so thanks for that. I went to the link you gave and used the easier of the two methods offered and downloaded a program called ShellExVeiw, which was extremely useful there were only 3 entries that were not microsoft based and I quickly ruled out the nVidia ones by common sense. That left one to try, can you guess what it was?...It was a securom entry. I disabled that one, restarted my computer, crossed my fingers and...now everything works on my desktop. Now my only hope is that all the games I have that use securom don't go haywire for some reason. Anyways thanks again.

Tragick93

Edit- only three, non-microsoft entries existed before I disabled the securom entry, but when I rean Shellex- after doing this and rebooting there were a ton more entries and the securom one had vanished-I know that sound bizzare but its true
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:45 PM
  • Hi

From your description, it sounds like one of those menu commands was stuck and not configured properly.

Removing a context menu entry should not have any effect on the program that placed it there.

Glad this helped. 

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:17 AM