Trouble with Driver Groups with multiple OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have Windows 8.1 setup in MDT, works great.

I've added Windows 10 in addition, but having trouble with the driver groups.  Allow me to describe:

Windows 8.1 Task Sequence is setup with:

1. Set Task Sequence Variable: Task Sequence Variable: DriverGroup001  &   Value: Windows 8.1\%Model%

2. Inject Driver: Choose Selection Profile: Nothing, Install all drivers from the selection profile (no pnpid)

I have added a new folder to the Out-Of-Box Drivers labeled Windows 10.

Within that I have models of laptops, matching the same wording and structure in the Windows 8.1 Out-of-Box Drivers 

This is where i need clarification,

What would the Task Sequence Variable be for the new Windows 10 T/S?

Win 8.1: Task Sequence Variable: DriverGroup001 Value: Windows 8.1\%Model%

Win 10: Task Sequence Variabel: DriverGroup001? Value Windows 10\%Model% ?

• Edited by Daniel9311 Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:58 AM

All replies

• Also, how would the customsettings.ini file need to be modified.

I have this existing to work with:

[Settings]

Priority=Model,Default

Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Latitude E7440]

DriversGroup004=Windows 8.1\%model%

DriverSelectionProfile=nothing

[Latitude E6430]

DriverGroup005=Windows 8.1\%model%

Would it be:

Latitude E7440 DriverGroup006=Windows 10\%model%   DriverSelectionProfile=nothing

Latitude E6430 DriverGroup007=Windows 10\%model%   DriverSelectionProfile=nothing

• Edited by Daniel9311 Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:10 AM
  • No it is only ever DriverGroup001 in the scenario you described.  You set drivergroup in the Task sequence most of the time.

See Johan's post on driver management

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:56 PM
    • Edited by Ty Glander Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Daniel9311 Friday, December 4, 2015 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:55 PM
  • I apologize but i am still unclear on this.  I'm a big fan of Johan but he has not covered this question.

I've attached 3 screenshots below to help me explain, hopefully you or someone can spot the error:

Friday, December 4, 2015 5:37 PM
  • You have mostly followed Johan's total control method from his blogpost but, you don't need ANY of the MODEL stuff you have in your customsettings.ini.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, December 4, 2015 7:34 PM
  • Interesting, that opened my eyes.  Is this the correct approach then?

Customsettings.ini:

DriverGroup001=Windows 8.1\%model%

DriverGroup002=Windows 10\%model%

The custom Windows 8.1 Task Sequence Variable only references DriverGroup001,

with Windows 8.1\%model%

The custom Windows 10 Task Sequence Variable only references DriverGroup002,

with Windows 10\%model%

Hoping thats correct, Friday.. End of Day 

Friday, December 4, 2015 8:39 PM
  • No.  Remove all of it from Customsettings.ini.  You only need it set in your task sequences.

Which your screenshots show.

I promise you it is all in the blog.

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Maybe I am not understanding your issue.  Please correct me if I am misunderstanding.

So if you are deploying 7 and 10 on multiple Models then the Total control method in Johan's post is your answer.

As you state in your very first post where you ask if:

Win 8.1: Task Sequence Variable: DriverGroup001 Value: Windows 8.1\%Model%

Win 10: Task Sequence Variabel: DriverGroup001? Value Windows 10\%Model%

That is correct.  And it is covered in the Total Control Method.

Don't get stuck on your CS.ini since it is not necessary.

Friday, December 4, 2015 11:22 PM
  • Daniel - I went through the same thing you are going through now. Ty's right just ignore setting your drivergroups in the customsettings.ini file. The solution didn't really make sense to me until I looked at the big picture.

If you delete all drivergroup settings in your cs.ini file and just set the drivergroups in your task sequences then when you add new models to your environment all you need to do is add the drivers to the Out-of-box drivers on the server. After adding the drivers the new machine model with work with your task sequences without having to do any additional edits.

If you set your drivergroups in the cs.ini file if you add a new machine model to your environment you will need to add the drivers to the Out-Of-Box Drivers and edit the cs.ini file to add another section for the new machine model.

So with setting drivergroups in the task sequence you are saving yourself a little bit of work but you are also going to have a cleaner and smaller cs.ini file. I'm not as experienced with MDT as Ty is but I figured since I "saw the light" and had a similar issue that you are having I would see if I could lend my point of view to see if it helps any.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Saturday, December 5, 2015 11:48 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 2:27 AM