none
MDT to OEM PC's and Laptops RRS feed

• Question

• We have a small PC repair and PC supply shop

Have been using MDT for a couple of years to deploy to new PC's as well as re-image customer PC's and it works fine.

My issue is that when we receive a new OEM UEFI laptop that has been downgraded to Win7 I would like to deploy our custom Win8.1 image then have it find and activate with the embedded Windows 8.1 product key.

If I install from a dvd it works but not from MDT 2013.

Thought that it needed the GPT partitions and fixed that. But it still will not work.

Please help

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi thanks for your reply.

As often happens. I had no sooner posted here when I found the workaround.

I found the utilities that allowed me to extract the key from BIOS and plug it into my normal MDT image.

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by profwalt Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:55 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:54 PM

All replies

• What doesn't work? Can you post the smsts.log and BDD.log to something like Onedrive?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:50 PM
  • Are you installing the correct edition of windows via MDT?

If you install with MDT and then try and enter the product key manually which is stored in the bios does it activate?

Thanks,

Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:22 AM
  • Hi thanks for your reply.

As often happens. I had no sooner posted here when I found the workaround.

I found the utilities that allowed me to extract the key from BIOS and plug it into my normal MDT image.

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by profwalt Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:55 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:54 PM