none
DPM 2019 RU1 Tape Backup Fails and fix proceedure RRS feed

• Question

• We sometimes get the below backup to tape fails..

Monitoring - Critical Error - Backup to tape failed

Error Details: Backup of \Server\SQL\model cannot be completed, DPM could not find a valid recovery point on disk. (ID 30126) (lots of these for different servers)

Current Proceedure to fix this and rerun the tape backup:

Protection:
    Select failed area (from above Error details)
    Perform Consistency check
    Then Create recovery Point - to disk - (can't just do this straight away it fails with - Cannot preform creation of a recovery point on a replica which is inconsistent (ID 31209)
    - Oddly then after this in The Protection tab it still says "Backup to Tape Failed"

Then run Backup to tape job again..

Is this the correct way to fix this as it's a ball ache.. Could I script it, I presume so ?

Friday, March 13, 2020 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As it says, the correct way of fixing this is as follows:

Backup of <data source name> on <server name> cannot be completed. DPM could not find a valid recovery point on disk.

On the Jobs tab in the Monitoring task area, check for failures of synchronization jobs and resolve those. Next, create a valid recovery point and then run the backup to tape job again. To create a valid recovery point:

1) For application data, in the Protection task area, click Create recovery point, and then select Express full backup on disk.

2) For file data, in the Protection task area, click Create recovery point and then select Create a recovery point after synchronizing.

You could probably script this by using the following PowerShell cmdlets:

Get-DPMJob

Start-DPMDatasourceConsistencyCheck

New-DPMRecoveryPoint

So you would first look for the DPM jobs that have failed, once you know them you can start a consistency check on them, and once that's done, run a manual recovery point.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, March 13, 2020 11:12 AM
  • Leon,

Thanks, I Know how to fix it as I do, it takes a while, it just seems and odd way to have to do it, and would be nice to know why it fails in the 1st place..

"Error Details: Backup of \Server\SQL\model cannot be completed, DPM could not find a valid recovery point on disk. (ID 30126) (lots of these for different servers)"

There are lots of valid recover points on the disk, I have checked and I can restore from them..

Friday, March 13, 2020 11:55 AM
  • When performing disk to disk to tape backups (D2D2T), tape backups will fail if a new disk based backup is not created before the next scheduled tape backup.

DPM always makes tape backups by mounting the last successful disk based recovery point.

This is so we don't need to transfer data over the network since that most recent data is already on the DPM server.

Take a look and check why the disk recovery points are failing and correct that to prevent tape backups from failing.

Monday, March 16, 2020 11:56 AM
  • >When performing disk to disk to tape backups (D2D2T), tape backups will fail if a new disk based backup is not created before the next scheduled tape backup.

Agreed

>DPM always makes tape backups by mounting the last successful disk based recovery point.

OK but there were lots of sucessful disk based recovery points to mount..

• Edited by Lord Melch Tuesday, March 17, 2020 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 11:54 AM
  • So there were no errors at all on the disk based recovery point jobs?

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 12:09 PM