MDT Image Deployment Using Flash Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my environment i am using MDT 2010 image deployment process to deploy Windows XP and Windows 7 OS images,

As image deployment is foccussed on multiple remote locations we have planned to move with USB Flash drive (Pen Drive) for image deployment,

The problem occurs here in normal system through diskpart utility i can able to get all the disks including my flash drive but in win pe mode i am unable to get my flash drive listed in diskpart utility.

so the image deployment process hangs on to the microsoft solution accelerator screen i am unable to predict the actual reason but i can predict this can happen because of mass storage driver problems.

I tried the same using USB Hard Disk and succeded with the deployment and i am unable to guess what makes difference between USB Hard disk and USB Flash Drive.

Can you just help me out on this to close the problem ASAP..

So that i can proceed with my roll out activities.

Thanks in advance,

Siva

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

At last the image deployment using flash drive works for me.

I attempted the following steps,

First i converted the flsh drive to bootable flash drive using diskpart utility,This can be done in Windows 7 Operating system only.

navigate to cmd and type Diskpart,and enter the below commands,

List disk

Select Disk no

create partition primary

select partition no

active

format fs=ntfs

Assign

Exit

Upon completition,Insert windows 7 DVD to the system and do the following

Navigate to DVD Drive in my case it is G: and change directory to boot

G:cd boot

G:\Boot>Bootsect.exe /nt60 I: where I: is my flash drive

Then copy the contents to the Usb flash drive and change the first boot device of the target system to local hard disk and deploy the image

while in Win pe mode use disk part utility to check whether your disk got detected.

If everything is ok then it will work.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Thanks and Regards,

Siva

Thanks Siva Aadhi-CIT. MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by ssonal Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Siva Aadhi Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• I saw the same thing with Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 0578 machines, which was indeed a mass storage driver problem. We ended up having to deploy from DVD. I would imagine you need more space than that, so you may have to edit the mass storage drivers or see if your PC manufacturer can help you get the mass storage drivers working in WinPE.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:13 PM
  • it's a problem related to the cache size....

DVD will be a better option...

Thanks

Pranay.

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

At last the image deployment using flash drive works for me.

I attempted the following steps,

First i converted the flsh drive to bootable flash drive using diskpart utility,This can be done in Windows 7 Operating system only.

navigate to cmd and type Diskpart,and enter the below commands,

List disk

Select Disk no

create partition primary

select partition no

active

format fs=ntfs

Assign

Exit

Upon completition,Insert windows 7 DVD to the system and do the following

Navigate to DVD Drive in my case it is G: and change directory to boot

G:cd boot

G:\Boot>Bootsect.exe /nt60 I: where I: is my flash drive

Then copy the contents to the Usb flash drive and change the first boot device of the target system to local hard disk and deploy the image

while in Win pe mode use disk part utility to check whether your disk got detected.

If everything is ok then it will work.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Thanks and Regards,

Siva

Thanks Siva Aadhi-CIT. MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by ssonal Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Siva Aadhi Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:57 AM
  • "Then copy the contents to the Usb flash drive and change the first boot device of the target system to local hard disk and deploy the image"

Copy WHAT contents?  What from my MDT server do I copy to the flash drive?

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:05 PM
  • This is an old thread, since the thread was started three years ago, uEFI has become more popular, and uEFI machines can not boot into NTFS partitions, you must format the USB flash drive as FAT32. Conversely, Fat32 drives can not store any file *over* 4gb in size, so be careful if you create MDT Stand-Alone media as the install.wim files can be quite large, do a search for "MDT Litetouch Split-WIM uEFI" for more info.

The final step in creating your USB flash drive is to copy the *CONTENTS* of your Litetouch Media *.iso image to your USB Drive, ensure that you are not copying the *.iso image itself. I prefer using tools like 7-zip to do the copy. Just tell 7-zip to copy the contents of your Litetouch Media ISO image to your USB drive.

WHen done, if you have a USB flash device mapped to the e:\ drive, you should have:

d:\Deploy

d:\deploy\boot\*.wim

d:\delploy\...

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Sorry that I bring this up now, but has anyone tried to solve this already by using Rufus?

It is supposed to bypass the UEFI NTFS limitation by creating a small FAT partition, which loads an open source driver for the required NTFS support.

http://superuser.com/questions/588080/uefi-boot-a-ntfs-drive

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:07 PM
  • No one has tried this before my last post, because Rufus only recently added this support, interesting...

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 10:24 PM
  • Your twitter post made Johan aware ;-)

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/471/UEFI-and-NTFS-Friends-to-MDT-2013-at-last

Monday, May 11, 2015 11:30 PM