Vista Home Premium 64 missing CD/DVD device driver RRS feed

• Question

• Installation of Vista fails with error message:

"A required CD/DVD driver device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952951 says the cause is that"Your CD/DVD drive is incompatible with Microsoft's AHCI driver (msahci.sys)." and the workaround is to "disable AHCI mode for your disk controller in the system BIOS.Typically the controller has to be changed from AHCI mode to "IDE" or "ATA" mode"

My BIOS (new ASUS P5Q SE/R mb) is set to configure SATA as RAID (alternatives are IDE and AHCI) with 2HDD on first 2 SATA ports.  Using a SATA DVD on any of the the other 4 SATA ports I get this error.

If I set SATA to IDE Vista will install but I want to use RAID. If I set SATA to RAID and use an old IDE optical drive I don't get the error but I want to use SATA optical drives because the cabling is so much neater!

One possible workaround is to install Vista using the IDE optical drive and to replace it with the SATA ones when the install is complete but I am worried that the problem may reoccur in the future.

Is the problem with the SATA optical drives I am using (LG GH22NS40 and Liteon  IHDS118?  Does anyone know of SATA optical drives that would be OK?  Vista 64 compatibility doesn't seem to be enough - they are OK if the SATA controller (ICH10R) isn't set to RAID.

Any ideas, please?
    thanks
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You should contact your CD/DVD drive manufacturer to obtain the SATA driver. Copy and paste the driver into the flash drive; then load that driver manually while installing Windows Vista.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, February 23, 2009 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:19 AM