Internet Explorer Shortcut Not Opening from Start Menu (Will work Everywhere Else) RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and suddenly IE will no longer open from the Start Menu.  It just does nothing when clicking the shortcut.  I've attempted to delete the shortcut, add a new shortcut, uninstall and reinstall IE, but it will not open from the Start Menu no matter what.  However, when sending the shortcut to the Desktop, it opens fine.  Opening "iexplore" from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer also works.
    Monday, January 26, 2015 5:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark Kay,

Please check if this workaround can work for you:

I create an Internet Explorer  shortcut and copy it to the location:

C:\Users\user profile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

See this picture:

Then I pin this shortcut to Start, it should work.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:59 AM

All replies

• Not sure what to say about that, but I can confirm it works here.

Maybe just pin it to the taskbar and forget about it?

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Hi Mark Kay,

Please check if this workaround can work for you:

I create an Internet Explorer  shortcut and copy it to the location:

C:\Users\user profile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

See this picture:

Then I pin this shortcut to Start, it should work.

Alex Zhao

Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:59 AM
  • I am seeing the exact same issue on a Dell Venue 8 Pro upgraded from Windows 8.1.In addition, several times this system has stopped displaying taskbar icons at all. I suspect the issues are related.

Friday, February 6, 2015 5:26 PM
  • Hey I upgraded my Dell Venue 8 Pro as well to Windows 10 Preview and had the same issue with IE.  I have a serious amount of lag when clicking the start menu.  

Additionally I have noticed that if I click the start menu (in tablet mode) after clicking away from it there is a sheen of black over the desktop.  At this point desktop icons cant be interacted with. The only work around I have found is to go the taskbar, right click and choose "Show Desktop".  Then I am able to select and double click on the icons once again.

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Hi all,

In my new user accounts and existed accounts, there is no such issue, so I  suspect this is related to the user profile, I would like to confirm if this issue occurs in your new accounts.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:27 AM