SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Here's my senario.

I have two primary domain controllers sitting on Windows 2003 and SBS2008. We also got exchange 2007 running on SBS 2008. I would want to implement CCR for our exchange 2007 but understand that SBS2008 does not support clustering.

My question is

1) As my mail server is sitting on the SBS2008 server, is it possible to move them to my windows 2003 server?

2) Is the process to migrate sbs 2008 to windows 2008 server r2 straight forward?

3) can i rename the server name on SBS2008 to something else on the new server?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:22 AM

Answers

• 1) As my mail server is sitting on the SBS2008 server, is it possible to move them to my windows 2003 server?

Exchange 2007 can be installed on Windows 2003. However please keep in mind that Exchange 2007 is a 64 bit application. For more information please refer to: Exchange Server 2007 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/04/10/3401869.aspx)

Do remember that you cannot install Exchange from SBS media and expect it to activate. You need to buy a new Exchange license.

2) Is the process to migrate sbs 2008 to windows 2008 server r2 straight forward?

You need to introduce Windows 2008 R2 in the SBS domain; Perform a DCPROMO, Move FSMO, GC and licensing roles. Install DNS, move data. Once this is done you can uninstall Exchange from the SBS Server and demote it. Remember that you can no longer use the SBS Server.

Not sure what you mean by new server. You cannot rename an SBS Server, if thats what you mean. Please elaborate.

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, February 20, 2012 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just adding something useful to you, as we know, Microsoft doesn’t have the official documentation about migration between SBS and OS. So if you would like to know the detailed procedures, you could refer to the SBSMigration.com.

Not only the cluster but also the domain trust is not supported towards the SBS scenario.

Just like the name of the SBS, it’s for small business server. With your development of your company, I think the pure Exchange server environment will be your number one choice. You will benefit from the high availability and high level topology (Role-based access).

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:34 AM

All replies

• 1) As my mail server is sitting on the SBS2008 server, is it possible to move them to my windows 2003 server?

Exchange 2007 can be installed on Windows 2003. However please keep in mind that Exchange 2007 is a 64 bit application. For more information please refer to: Exchange Server 2007 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/04/10/3401869.aspx)

Do remember that you cannot install Exchange from SBS media and expect it to activate. You need to buy a new Exchange license.

You need to introduce Windows 2008 R2 in the SBS domain; Perform a DCPROMO, Move FSMO, GC and licensing roles. Install DNS, move data. Once this is done you can uninstall Exchange from the SBS Server and demote it. Remember that you can no longer use the SBS Server.

Not sure what you mean by new server. You cannot rename an SBS Server, if thats what you mean. Please elaborate.

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just adding something useful to you, as we know, Microsoft doesn’t have the official documentation about migration between SBS and OS. So if you would like to know the detailed procedures, you could refer to the SBSMigration.com.

Not only the cluster but also the domain trust is not supported towards the SBS scenario.

Just like the name of the SBS, it’s for small business server. With your development of your company, I think the pure Exchange server environment will be your number one choice. You will benefit from the high availability and high level topology (Role-based access).

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:11 AM