none
PowerQuery access Facebook get "no column" RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • I've used PowerQuery sample to FaceBook about several times. Now this stop work

    I create query: (step by step)

    = Facebook.Graph("https://graph.facebook.com/me/friends")

    = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Source, "object_link", {"connections", "gender"}, {"object_link.connections", "object_link.gender"})

    = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expand object_link", "object_link.connections", {"music"}, {"object_link.connections.music"})

    against facebook

    Now when I try to expand table object_link.connections.music I get "No Columns were found"

    What is changed? What I do wrong? What I have to change to put this to work

    Thanks in advance

    Henn


    Henn Sarv

    Monday, February 3, 2014 10:12 PM

All replies

  • Hi Henn,

    I went through your repro steps and was able to reproduce the issue. I think that the root cause for this is that Power Query only looks at the content of the first row for the nested table (object_link.connections.music in this case) in order to retrieve the list of columns to show in the Expand/Aggregate dialog.

    It might be that the first friend on your list does not have that information any more.

    As a workaround, you can look at the nested tables (by clicking on the white background of the cell) and find somebody who does have content in this nested table. Then, filter by that person or skip some rows from the top of the table so it makes it to the first row. At that point, you should be able to see the list on Expand/Aggregate and apply the step. You can finally go back and remove the Filter or Skip Rows step to recover the full list of friends.

    Hope this helps. This issue is a bit unfortunate - we need to find the right balance between looking at many rows to catch irregular cases vs. trying to not pay too much of a performance hit. The current behavior is optimized for "homogeneous nested data structures", which tends to be the common case for most data sources that PQ supports.

    Thanks,
    M.

    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:57 AM
  • If anyone is still struggling with this - I found that, even when I filtered to an item where the column was populated, I was still getting "No columns were found".

    I found I needed to add a new step manually. First look at the nested tables to get the column names as suggested above, then click on "Advanced Editor". Add a comma to the end of the last line before the "in" clause, and add your new step (you can include as many column names as necessary) :

        #"New step name" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Last step name", "Name of column to expand", {"ColName1", "ColName2"}, {"NewColName1", "NewColName2"})

    ... then update the last line (after "in") to

        #"New step name"

    A bit of a faff, but it works. Note that the original column names (e.g. ColName1) are case-sensitive, though.

    Rob



    • Edited by RobHogg68 Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:05 PM Clarification.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 12:59 PM