none
Creation of a Multi-Year Product Roadmap in Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to see if I can efficiently create a product roadmap using Project 2010.  For a given business unit in our corporation I have product categories and under those categories I have products and/or projects I want to show on a timeline.  I was able to brute force this into a timeline but I would think there is an easier way to do this.

For example, I would like to be able to put the description of the product/project inside the bar on the ghantt chart but I get an error when I try to do that.  I increased the bar height to allow for legible text but still no luck.  

I want each entry for a given product category to automatically produce a bar of the right color with starting and ending symbols as needed based on the type of entry I add (product versus project).

Is there any way to add an outline to the bars of different colors to designate the difference between a sustaining, anticipated, active, and discontinued product or project?

Or would I be better served to go find an aftermarket piece of software that will do this type of work instead of trying to use MS Project for something it wasn't specifically designed?

Thank you for any feedback.

Andy

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

Here is a tutorial that might help you coloring your bar style. This is based on the resource name but you could have a custom field with your product category which trigger a flag then the bar style will be formated based on the flag.

Then about the description in the bar, I'm afraid this is not intended for this purpose. What about the note fields? 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Andy --

I think there is an easier way.  Here is what I would do if I was you.  First, I would create a project containing all of the tasks needed to create the products.  I would also create a summary task for each of the products you need to create, and the subtasks below that summary task would be the tasks needed to create the product.  Then I would add the summary tasks to the Timeline view, which would give you a beautiful graphic representation of the current timeline for the development of each product.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:34 PM